T-H Marine Ranger Trolling Motor Plug

I run a 80# minn kota fortrex, usuing a T-H Marine Ranger Trolling Motor Plug. The other day the motor just quit on me. I have >12 volts coming to the plug, but nothing at the two main power cables from the plug underneath the foot pedal. I am inclined to believe that the plug has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

Anybody else have experience with this T-H Marine plug, and any other plug in general, is it comment for them to go bad?

2. Member
    The Ranger plug is probably one of the best designs in a plug, however a loose connection, either in the plug or where the terminals connect in side the plug can cause any of them to go bad. Check the connections.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    John, Do you recommend the Ranger plug over the Minn Kota plug?

4. Member
    Yes, I don't like the MinnKota plug. It's small in size and you have to have an adapter to go from 6ga to the plug. More connections and I don't like extra connections.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    I used the Ranger style plug on my Ranger boat for 20 plus years without any issues. They were replaced as I replaced trolling motors during this time, but never replaced due to a plug malfunction. When I installed the Ultrex, it was recommended to upgrade the circuit breaker to 60 amps. This was done with a 60 amp circuit breaker with a switch. I was scanning the web for a new ranger style plug when I noticed that one of these plugs stated it had a 40 amp rating. None of the other suppliers of this ranger plug gave the amp rating. Bases on the 40 amp rating, I left the plug out of the circuit, and straight wired to the batteries(with the above 60 amp circuit breaker/switch in the circuit). This had an added benefit that my 360 screen is totally clear now. No more foggy haze.