Thread: Smoker Rubs?

Smoker Rubs?

I bought a smoker a few months ago at a RMEF fund raiser, just now getting around to using it. What do you guys that use one a lot use as a rub or bast for say a venison shoulder or ham? I am starting from ground zero. Thanks in advance.

Look up Meatheads Memphis Dust.

There's a bunch. Killer hogs is great for pork. I don't know about venison. Bbqdoneright.com
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

4. Member
    Leggs plantation bbq rub is great!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ891 View Post
    Look up Meatheads Memphis Dust.
    Meathead also has a copycat recipe of the Rendezvous dry rub, and it is exactly the same as that famous restaurant uses. It is a staple in my kitchen.

Anything but Famous Dave's. You would be better off just rubbing straight chili powder on it than that that mess they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Meathead also has a copycat recipe of the Rendezvous dry rub, and it is exactly the same as that famous restaurant uses. It is a staple in my kitchen.

8. Member
    Thanks guys I will check em out.

9. Member
    ​I use Myron Mixon hickory meat rub like it very well

10. Member
    John Henry's rub...tons of choices...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    John Henry's rub...tons of choices...
    Their rubs are great. Also check out Plowboy's Yardbird rub. Really good stuff.

SuckleBusters Pecan rub is my favorite.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

13. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Not a Rub but a very good Smoked Ham

How To Smoke A Holiday Ham

Step #1. First you'll need to purchase your ham.

When I refer to ham I'm not talking about a "green ham" (one that's not cured). I'm actually referring to a sugar cured ham that you can find in most all grocery stores - especially around the holidays. If you smoked a "green ham" it will turn out more like BBQ or pulled pork... and that is not what you want for your Holiday Ham.

Traditionally, most people purchase these hams and then cook them in the oven slowly for several hours. This method of cooking a holiday ham in the oven with a sweet glaze is good... but once you've tried it on the smoker, you'll never put one in the oven again.

Step #2. Other items you'll need to smoke a ham include:

• Smoker for indirect cooking
    • Aluminum Foil
    • Cherry or Your Favorite Fruit Wood
    • Honey Dijon Mustard - 1 bottle
    • Brown Sugar - 1 lb
    • Pineapple Juice

Step #3. Bring Your Smoker Up To Temp

Now that you have all of the necessary ingredients, set up the smoker for indirect cooking and bring the temp up to 225.

While the smoker is climbing up to temperature, unwrap your thawed Ham and use paper towel to remove excess moisture.

Step #4. Rub Your Ham

Next you want to coat the outside of your ham with the Honey Dijon Mustard and then lightly dust your ham with Brown Sugar. (don't go too heavy here, you will come back and add another, heavier coating of brown sugar later).
    This will create almost a "paste" on your ham. (you can also use a light dusting of a "sweet" BBQ dry rub to add to your brown sugar if you like)

Step #5. Smoke Your Ham

Once your smoker has reached 225 degrees, I always add a few chunks of wood to your smoker's coals.

All that's left now is to put your ham on the smoker.

After smoking the ham for two (2) hours at 225 degrees, take it off the smoker and wrap in aluminum foil. But before you close the aluminum foil completely, you want to baste the ham with your pineapple juice. I have found it is easiest to pour the juice into a spray bottle then just hit the ham with a few squirts.

Once I have basted my ham with pineapple juice and wrapped it in aluminum foil, I place it back on the smoker and allow it to cook for 1 hour at 225 degrees.

After 1 hour, check the internal temperature of your holiday ham. You are looking for an internal temp of 145 degrees, and at this point your ham should be close.

Step #6. Glaze Your Ham

When your ham reaches 140 degrees internal, it's time to glaze.

Unwrap the top of the ham, but keep it setting in the foil. I try and make a "boat" to keep the juices from spilling. Now that the ham is exposed, sprinkle brown sugar over the entire outside again. Once your ham is covered in brown sugar, spray it really well with pineapple juice. This will cause the brown sugar to dissolve and the heat from the smoker will create a beautiful, delicious glaze that goes perfectly with the taste of your smoked ham.

Your holiday ham will stay on the smoker for 1 hour while you allow the sugar and juice to create your glaze.

Step #7. Rest Your Ham

At the 4 hour mark your ham is ready to come off the smoker. But you always want to check your internal temp just to be sure. Your ham should be at least 145 degrees internal. If it's a little higher than that, don't worry... as long as you haven't kept it on the smoker for more than 4 hours it shouldn't be overly done.

Now you will remove your ham from the smoker and loosely tent it with the foil while you allow it to rest. I recommend letting it rest for around 20 - 30 minutes... then it's ready to eat.

When cutting your ham, I suggest a really good meat carving knife... but an electric filet knife works great too

14. Member
    Sounds great Thanks