Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar

New Hobie; Mirage Compass

Just in case anyone is living in an underground bunker, Hobie has just released the Mirage Compass. I wish I knew it was coming before I bought my Outback. Not that I don't love my Outback, but the reduced weight would have been great. It's 87 lbs fully rigid with the Mirage drive and it's under 2K in price.

Here are the specs:

• Crew: 1
    • Length: 12’ / 3.66 m
    • Width: 34” / 0.86 m
    • Capacity: 400 lbs / 181 kg
    • Fitted Hull Weight: 68 lbs / 31 kg
    • Fully Rigged Weight: 87 lbs / 39 kg
    • Hull Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene

Last edited by sgt93; 09-01-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

2. Member
    pretty sweet - should be a top seller.

No wonder Scheels has their PA14s marked down to 2k. That thing looks sweet, and car-toppable. 68lbs without the drive and seat?
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Just a couple quick notes on this hull. The Advantage seat has been slightly changed/simplified to cut cost. It does still have adjustable back angle and lumbar but the two position height adjustment is gone. It can still be removed to be used as a beach chair though. Also, the M180 Drive doesn't come on this boat. This hull utilizes the older Mirage Drive V2 without reverse.

The price point is nice but it's a very stripped down hull with minimal options. I don't see it as direct competition for the Outback which is marketed expressly as a kayak Fishing hull. This one is more for entry level folks looking to get into a pedal kayak at minimal cost. That's not to say that you can't fish this hull though. It is Lowrance Ready with the thru hull fittings in the cockpit and the Lowrance Ready scupper underneath.

It should be a good seller for Hobie and will compete with kayaks such as the Perception Pilot although at a slightly higher price point.

5. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    It's lacking some features for sure, but its a great rig for the price and it comes with the Mirage 180 drive which is phenomenal. This rig will probably separate small water and bigger water sales for Hobie. I would have bought it in a heartbeat for the weight savings alone. My shoulder would be thankful, and I probably could have gotten away without having the Thule Hullavator Pro (although I love it) saving an additional $500+. Hobie is going to sell a bunch of these Compass'.

I think Ring is correct, no 180 drive. if you go to the Hobie site and hover over the drive it says "for drives with reverse gear, see our other models with Mirage Drive."
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    I think Ring is correct, no 180 drive. if you go to the Hobie site and hover over the drive it says "for drives with reverse gear, see our other models with Mirage Drive."
    Yep, no word yet on whether you can upgrade to the MD180 with a trade in of the V2 that comes with it or not. That may be left up to individual dealers rather than being a Hobie corporate decision. It should definitely be a good seller for them though. No doubt it has created quite a stir in the kayak community as every kayak forum and page that I visit has threads about it. Many folks are liking the new color options as well. I saw a 2018 Pro Angler in the new orange color on Facebook yesterday. Not my cup of tea but I know some Tennessee fans are already looking to drop their hard earned money on one. The new mounting boards on the Pro Anglers look pretty nice as well.

8. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I read somewhere that it had the Mirage 180, maybe an Instagram post, but I have been checking and you guys are right, I don't see it posted anywhere. I have a question in to Hobie to verify and am awaiting an answer.

I would not want a Hobie without the Mirage 180, especially after having it. It's beyond useful. I would still consider picking up a Compass for a family member though.

9. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I just scrolled down on the Compass features and hovered over the drive unit and screenshot this. Yep, no reverse. Bummer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is an article with a video:

https://www.rapidmedia.com/kayakangl...67e66-89985901

No reverse

I'm like you sgt93.....I've been in Hobies for the last 7 years and never thought I'd use reverse much or that it would even be something I'd consider useful in my style of fishing. I have a 2017 Outback and a 2017 Pro Angler 14 now with the MD180. Reverse truly is a game changer for me and I couldn't imagine not having after a year of using it!

12. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    I'm like you sgt93.....I've been in Hobies for the last 7 years and never thought I'd use reverse much or that it would even be something I'd consider useful in my style of fishing. I have a 2017 Outback and a 2017 Pro Angler 14 now with the MD180. Reverse truly is a game changer for me and I couldn't imagine not having after a year of using it!
    My feelings exactly. They should offer an option to upgrade.

Thanks for the link Elken.

I'm thinking about getting a yakattack standup bar for my Pescador and just rockin and rollin with it for a while before I start thinking about a Hobie. But when spring fever sets in next year maybe I'll add a Compass and start building my armada.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

The stand up bars are nice for aiding in getting up and sitting down but just be careful. If you get a little tipsy out there the natural instinct is to grab the bar to try and stabilize yourself. That's a guaranteed way to end up in the water!! I'm thinking of adding one to my older Pro Angler as my father uses it for his annual trip out here to fish with me in California each year. After having both knees replaced he could use a little assistance going from the seated to standing position and back again. Last year we used a piece of rope tied to the bow that he pulled himself up with. I think the bar would work better as long as it's not too difficult to lower when he is fishing from the seated position to keep it out of his way.

15. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I've yet to try to stand up!

I have been thinking of adding an Outback to my fleet but I may have to look into this..

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt93 View Post
    I've yet to try to stand up!
    I stand in the outback all the time. Very stable.

I bought the 2017 camo Outback for my wife. She absolutely loves it!! In fact she loves it so much that she's not sure she wants to accept a position on the Hobie Fishing Team because she doesn't want to give up her boat for a 2018. She has let me in it one time and one time only. I was able to stand in it with no problem. It was actually surprising to see how stable it was being quite a bit narrower than my PA14.

I would think this new compass would be even more stable being an inch wider and having the squared off stern similar to the Pro Angler. I have a 2018 PA14 coming this month as my new team boat but I'm seriously considering adding a Compass to the fleet as well. I wouldn't consider it a replacement to my PA or my wife's Outback but it might be fun to have a stripped down hull that is much lighter than a PA but still capable of standing in and getting some decent speed! Of course I'd have to swap my drive out of one of the other boats so that I could still have reverse! I just wish they made the Compass in a more sportsman friendly color as I hunt from my Hobies as well as fishing from them. I guess the slate color wouldn't be so bad for duck hunting. A little camo burlap would go a long way!! LOL

19. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I will try standing in it tomorrow if I get out and the winds are not kicking. I love my 17 Outback, I could not live without the reverse after having it. I may add a Compass though. Waiting for my dealer to get one in to check it out.