Kick Ash Basket. Thanks Clif!

Finally got a Kick Ash Basket for my Vision. Great upgrade.
    Along with using the Royal Oak chunks, I am finally starting to enjoy my Kamado.

So much easier to light with just a torch.

Before the Kick Ash basket, I would use the torch to get my lump started, then stick my cordless leaf blower by the inlet to supercharge it and get things glowing.
    With the basket, I don't even have to do that. Just light it and walk in to get my meat. Come back and its ready to go.

I did take the insert out of the bottom...round steel plate with holes. Set it on my lowest grate as a sort of heat deflector. Temporary till I find something better.

Thanks for the recommendations on the basket and the lump, Clif! Working out great!

Did some brats last night, and cooked up chicken quarters last week. I could eat those everyday. At .97 a lb, its a steal on meat and turns out gourmet.
    Still not getting my skinless chicken breasts to turn out the way I'd like. They're juicy and flavorful, but a tougher consistency than they turn out on my Phoenix grill.

2. Banned
    Awesome to here...lot of people just think the basket is a gimmick. In reality it is thee best upgrade for a kamodo grill. Keep working on the cheap yardbird, you will dial it in. Just remember the higher the cooking temp the faster the off the grill rest n rise n temp.
    We've been buying already flattened out chicken breast pieces. Couple minutes around 650...toss on a bun real quick...add bacon,lettuce and tomato. Cheap meal and soo good.

Yep, the basket is well worth the money!

I will keep trying the skinless boob. Flattened is a good idea. I will try that also.
    Out of curiosity, if you were cooking an unflattened chicken breast, what temp would you cook at? I've been cooking about 350.

4. Banned
    I have two techniques that I use for boneless skinless breasts that I use depending on how much smoke I want. *I'll either cook them at 250-275ish direct for 20-30 minutes (pull at 155) or at 350-375 direct for about 5 minutes per side (155) *I think the most important thing for boneless skinless is to pull them at 155 lightly cover with foil and let them rest for 5-10 minutes. *That way they will hit 160 but won't over cook. *The always seem to be plenty juicy without brine or even a wet marinade, all I usually do is give them a dry rub.

This is a way that I follow..saved from someone else. Boneless skinless

Thanks Clif! I'll keep working on it.

6. Member
    Try a dose of vinaigrette.Really livens them up.