Adjusting Helix 9 Gen 1 for Depth Changes

I can get my Helix 9 SI adjusted pretty well.....at times. One spot I will have a good image when running SI, but once I change spots/depth the image isnt as clear. Is there a general rule to use when changing depths. For example, say you are in shallow water 5-10 feet than you drop off a ledge into say 20-25 feet. What do I need to do with my contrast and sensitivity settings?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    I can get my Helix 9 SI adjusted pretty well.....at times. One spot I will have a good image when running SI, but once I change spots/depth the image isnt as clear. Is there a general rule to use when changing depths. For example, say you are in shallow water 5-10 feet than you drop off a ledge into say 20-25 feet. What do I need to do with my contrast and sensitivity settings?
    You adjust the sensitivity according to the depth and/or bottom hardness so the images are not too dark or too bright. Change as needed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    So once you have the contrast set to your desire ranged, you dont normally change them with depth changes? Only change the sensitivity?

4. Member
    You change both, and whatever your unit calls surface clutter, as conditions warrant. You do this whenever it's needed. Sometimes I also change the range shown on-screen. I'll skip the top of the water, and focus on mid-water, or the bottom, depending on what I want to see.

5. Member
    I had this problem until I spent time adjusting my transducer to be perfectly level while the boat what idling at 3mph. I also changed my the power to unit directly to the battery with 8 gauge wire. I only mention this because I did it at the same time as the leveling and my picture was dramatically better at most depths.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    1990 Evinrude 150XP Raker 22P
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot