Thread: 94' Merc200XRi

94' Merc200XRi

Serial# OG000925
    94' Merc 200XRi rebuilt & just coming out of double oil breakin period. Using non ethanol 87 octane premixed at 50:1 now.
    I had burnt bullet connectors on my voltage regulators. Replaced both. Everything was fine till last Sunday. Motor wouldnt get RPM's or on plane. Unplugged one set of regulator wires. Engine ran good ,but, tach would go from 0 to max then back to zero. Volt meter still showing 16-17 volts. What is my next step? Dont want to burn anything down.
    What is the correct part #'s for voltage regulators & stator in case i have to go there?

1992 Champion 201 DCR Elite
    2013 Yamaha 250SHO
    HumminBird

Look for burnt or heat damaged bobbins on the stator, this will indicate stator issues. Also there are checks you can perform to verify stator in the merc manual.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

3. Member
    I dont have a Merc manual & am NOT good on electrical system issues. Wanted part #'s so I could get an idea $wise what I may be looking at if it is a stator issue. Mechanic replaced both voltage regulators but havent gotten back over to him. Just thought I'd maybe get an idea what to possibly expect. Couldnt get logged into EuropeanAM website to lookup part #'s & pricing. Thats what i asked in original post. Thanks for advising what to look for on stator. Didnt pull flywheel to look at stator. Just saw burnt bullet connectors on regulators. I guess what im asking is: can the stator cause the voltage regulators to fail? If flywheel has to come off im taking it to mechanic. Don't want to keep buying $200+ regulators if stator is the problem. With the issue I described Im afraid I may have already burned up in one trip, the 2 new regulators that were put on.
    Last edited by Hoss Triton; 09-02-2017 at 11:13 PM.

2013 Yamaha 250SHO
    HumminBird

No worries Hoss, the stator is 9610A19 ~$480 and the regulators are 8M0084173. See if mech can test your stator, bad high speed coil could keep your boat from getting on plane or a broken/missing magnet on flywheel. On the regulator side of things, just make sure grounds are tight with clean surfaces(used a wire brush on a dremel for mine) and the surface where regulator touches the block is clean. Connections on the starter solenoid and clean/tight as well as battery ground on starter.

Hopefully, your mech used the new style regulators as they have a fuse that is supposed to help prevent expensive failures.

On the battery connections, it is recommended to use locking nuts with the nylon inserts on your battery connections instead of wing nuts. Clean the stud and surrounding area, put your largest connection on first, then go smaller with the smallest connection last. Pre-thread your locking nut on a bolt first so you don't put extra twisting pressure on the battery post.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

5. Member
    Thank you so much. Hopefully mechanic can get to it this week & diagnose what I'll need.? He saves me a lot of money. I save him time by getting the parts lined up ahead of time & in hand, so it doesnt slow him down in his regular work day. I pay for the parts & have them shipped to his shop & he provides me a reduced rate. Its a blessing to have a fishing buddy like him. He lives fishing also. Thanks again for those part #'s. We need to check which ones we got last time. May not have been the new style(fused)

2013 Yamaha 250SHO
    HumminBird