Thread: Last 4 months

Last 4 months

Well looks like the indexes want to roll over. What do you all think the next few months could look like? We are up nicely already and a little chop sure would eat up some time..

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    The last 4 months have been a pain in the butt for me to trade. But unless there's an event, I don't see why the market would roll over.

Reasons for the market to go higher: Earnings improving, which is all that matters and as long as the economy keeps growing, then earnings will improve. Actually gets something done in Congress.

Reasons for market to go lower: War with North Korea, depending on how that goes, may be a short term dip. Debt ceiling, govt shut down and the like, have never been a long lasting issue. Congress actually gets something done. LOL

But something of note. The solar eclipse sell off theory. The solar eclipse theory is the market will start to sell off during a window around the eclipse and a full moon. That window begins today and lasts through till Sept 11. Apparently all or most of the major market crashes have fallen in this window.

When the boys get back from vacation, next week, I expect to see the market really start to move, up or down. I'm not sure which way, but I'm hoping for some intraday movement.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    I am new to BBC and didn't realize this type of thread was here. I have always looked into investing (nothing too crazy) but never have. Just looked at the vanguard 's s&p mirroring index fund.. I am thinking about holding off to see how the rising gas prices from the hurricane and the government shutdown/increased debt ceiling will play out. Don't want to wish any bad luck on anyone, but I'd prefer to invest a little if the market drops some.

Like I said, I know very little about investing but I enjoy reading about it and hearing from experienced investers.

4. Member
    Welcome to bbc.

5. Member
    solar eclipse sell off theory.. interesting topic when i researched more about it. . Thanks for sharing. I have seen big chunks of horizontal channeling all year and the trade has been tough. Heck even getting a position made has been less than favorable and I'm not an active trader. Looks like we have another double top forming though.. With the spx being up 10% and entering Sep-Oct volatility that hopefully leads the index to the 200 sma and a buying opportunity. Wishful thinking..

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    1% down yesterday.................was it just a minor dip or the beginning of something more? Was it North Korea or the Solar eclipse theory. The full moon is today, so the window lasts until Monday.
    Thanos was the hero

7. Member
    I bet the S&P 500 finishes the year over 2500.

8. Member
    Well there are plenty of reasons to suggest that but trying to put money to work at .76% from a 52 wk high is not a bargain. Patients has always paid.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinSkinny View Post
    Well there are plenty of reasons to suggest that but trying to put money to work at .76% from a 52 wk high is not a bargain. Patients has always paid.
    Patients pay more now than ever before with our current healthcare industry.

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Eclipse crash window theory is closed as well as every other theory on why the market will go lower
    Looks like we can enjoy the front-running of the Santa Claus rally
    Thanos was the hero

11. Member
    Yea another run it looks like. What's the saying.. don't fight the tape?? I read Goldman is telling all managers to get in the market. I also read a really good article ( that I of course can't find) that talked about bull market cycle. There are a few stages. Best I could remember.... Bull market after a crash, bull fundamental stage, bull optimistic, and bull euphoria. We are between the bull optimistic and bull euphoria stage they said. I thought that was a really interesting macro view.

12. Member
    10 year= 2.2. That makes it hard for any meaningful pull back. Especially with the reasons below with the exception of Congress. Those idiots are useless.

Reasons for the market to go higher: Earnings improving, which is all that matters and as long as the economy keeps growing, then earnings will improve. Actually gets something done in Congress.
    ________
    $8

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    I bet the S&P 500 finishes the year over 2500.
    Not too hard from here.
    Thanos was the hero

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Not too hard from here.