E-Tec 225 HO won't hold

Hi everybody. My name is Marco and I write from Italy. My buddy last year bought a '07 Ranger Z20 with a Evinrude E-Tec 225 H.O. (serial # 5177627, model # E225DHLSUA).
    From the first time the motor had problem holding the minimum when it was cold. After some minutes, when the motor heat up, it ran fine.
    The motor had a complete maintenance but the test doesn't show any issue.
    This year the thing went worse and now the motor won't start anymore: anytime we try to start the engine, it starts running for a fraction of a second and than immediately it dies.
    Trying to accelerate with the hot foot doesn't work at all.
    The motor had the fuel pump changed, but it doesn't help. Now it has 380 hours.
    I do believe it could be a ECU problem.
    Any suggestion?
    Thank you in advice and sorry for my english.
    Marco

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    To perform any type of maintenance Marco, you will need a laptop computer a serial cable with the correct ends the Evinrude Diagnostic software to connect to the motor. Are you getting any lights on the system check gauge? The EMM also has LED's on it that can help you diagnose the issue. Just a guess but it could be a throttle position sensor for the no accelerate issue and a Crank position sensor for the no start issue. Your friend cannot have his foot on the hot foot or it will cause an error in the EMM for throttle in a not safe position and will post a fault code and you will not be able to accelerate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    To perform any type of maintenance Marco, you will need a laptop computer a serial cable with the correct ends the Evinrude Diagnostic software to connect to the motor. Are you getting any lights on the system check gauge? The EMM also has LED's on it that can help you diagnose the issue. Just a guess but it could be a throttle position sensor for the no accelerate issue and a Crank position sensor for the no start issue. Your friend cannot have his foot on the hot foot or it will cause an error in the EMM for throttle in a not safe position and will post a fault code and you will not be able to accelerate.
    Maybe I didn't explain very well: the motor starts but it immediately die because in won't hold the minimum. In this situation it's impossible to accelerate to increase rpm because, I suppose, the accelerator is controlled by the EMM.
    It's seems like the EMM doesn't keep the right RPM whan the motor is cold.
    The diagnostic was made by an Evinrude dealer who wasn't able to identify the problem.
    Here the results of the diagnostic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwY...GckJDQXdF/view

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What happened on # 3 cylinder, was the injector replaced? If you believe the EMM is bad consult the dealer as the EMM is not repairable. He can do an EMM recovery but the EMM has to go back to BRP.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    What happened on # 3 cylinder, was the injector replaced?
    No, it wasn't replaced. The mechanical who made this Diagnostic told to my friend that everything was ok. Do you think that this could be the problem of the motor?

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Good catch Fred...Yes it looks like all injectors are cycling but # 3 is way off.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The oil setting should also be set to TC-W3.

The engine has a history of overheating and the EMM got very hot, near 201°F. There are multiple code 11 indications of having the foot throttle either out of adjustment or slightly advanced when trying to start the motor. #3 injector, as mentioned, has an unusual reading so you may want to check to see if the injector serial number is the same as the one programmed into the EMM - 14107060403751. The oil setting should be changed to TC-W3 for better engine life on an HO model.

Has anyone removed and cleaned or replaced the exhaust sensor tube and monitored the stator output during cranking per the service manual? The blue capacitor should be checked for oil leakage, rattles, or corrosion. In some cases the reeds can affect the starting.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !