Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I would inspect both ends of the battery cables for internal corrosion.......Might be time for new battery cables.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I would inspect both ends of the battery cables for internal corrosion.......Might be time for new battery cables.
    I would tend to agree ^^^
    The voltage drop he was seeing when using the trim wasn't a battery problem, imo.

3. Member
    Will do guys! Thanks for the ideas!
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ONE cranking battery of ample rating is best.

Make sure those engine cables are connected FIRST, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest. Stainless LOCKNUT (do NOT use wing-nuts).

If possible, use a clamp-style MARINE terminal, then place all of your lugs on that terminal.

ALSO: Check GROUND cable where it attaches to the block. Have seen several instances where bolt pulled down to torque spec, but the cable still rotated on the bolt.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Newlookhomes I sent you a PM
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

6. Member
    Inspect spark plug wires for holes or see if any are leaking voltage and shock you when touching the boot or wires while running on muffs. I was having intermittent loss of rpm while using the trim and this seems to have caused it. Easy check.

7. Member
    I changed to an X2 power 31 AGM and that helped a ton. I cut into main power wires and they were not tinned and pretty corroded. Got new power wires, 4 gauge tinned. Haven’t got a chance to run it yet but got new plugs in the mail today and plug wires should be here tomorrow. Got a new boost pump and diaphragm pump kit from Don and got that all installed. Did every fuel system check I could find in the manual. 1 fuel injector was a little over the resistance range until I disconnected and cleaned the connnector and now it’s good.
    Hopefully all is well with it after I get the new plugs and wires installed and get out to test.

I sent a message and an email to the OP but haven’t gotten any reply.
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

8. Member
    When my trim was making the motor stutter , it ended up being an injector on number 6.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabslobberer View Post
    I changed to an X2 power 31 AGM and that helped a ton. I cut into main power wires and they were not tinned and pretty corroded. Got new power wires, 4 gauge tinned. Haven’t got a chance to run it yet but got new plugs in the mail today and plug wires should be here tomorrow. Got a new boost pump and diaphragm pump kit from Don and got that all installed. Did every fuel system check I could find in the manual. 1 fuel injector was a little over the resistance range until I disconnected and cleaned the connnector and now it’s good.
    Hopefully all is well with it after I get the new plugs and wires installed and get out to test.

I sent a message and an email to the OP but haven’t gotten any reply.
    As you've surmised, this is an older post (been dormant since 2017).

Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements. ONE engine per post, which helps to avoid this type of confusion (and/or post hi-jacking). Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12