Stay away from Navionics

Very disappointed in Navionics and their SonarChart SW.

I purchased their Marine & Lake charts when I purchased my boat last Nov. I've downloaded/updated my maps twice. Now that I'm getting ready for an important fishing trip...just as you'd expect...the card failed! I uninstalled/reinstalled their Chart Installer on my laptop...tried everything...NOTHING!

I sent their "help" dept two emails, they opened a case for me and then nothing. I called twice in two days...both times sat on hold for over an hour...once I got down to being #3 in the que I was disconnected...great service. I'm now on hold for the third time...waiting...waiting...waiting.

Only thing worse than this, is holding for someone at DMV or the IRS.

Navionics....you SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Member
    Finally got thru to their tech support. Turns out you can not run their Chart Installer if you have McAfee or some other virus checker on your computer/laptop. I only have one laptop my work laptop and don't have any means for turning off the virus checker. Long story short...I haven't been able to update my maps/charts since I purchased the SW.
    What a waste of money...and there is nothing on any of the packaging that states you can't run the SW if you have a virus checker on your system.

$199 flushed down the toilet!!!

3. Member
    Really sorry to hear about that! I have always been leery about Navionics. I have been using HB map cards.It is true about anti virus and any type of fire wall.I had the same issues with other products and software being blocked by them.Especially with a work product.My wife has a laptop and was thinking about getting a disk drive adapter for it,I got shot down before I even reached the launchpad I have a desk top but don't trust it due power box corruption and other issues,I may take it in and have upgraded for less than the price of a new laptop( which) almost all come antivirus and fire walls, that once messed with will void the warranty Any more these day's most things are so expensive and complicated, it really gets frustrating.Good luck to you.

4. Member
    To the OP, you should be disable the AV program temporarily while you do the update. May require a couple of reboots of the system.

5. Member
    Click on the icon in the tasktray and you can disable it for different time levels or session.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Banned
    I'm sure I ran chart installer with my virus software installed before my subscription ran out. It may just be the McAfee it doesn't like.

7. Member
    Try the chat feature. It's way better than sitting on hold.