17' Glasstream Setup

I searched through setups and couldn't find anything on these boats in the same size bracket. I have a 17' Glasstream Elite bass boat. It reminds me of my Norris Craft XLVEE from it's shape and build. It is a V bottom with a flat pad. I have a 115 inline 6 Merc on it. I am adding a 6" MJP next week. The boat weights 750lbs dry and iirc the engine is around 400lbs. I am running a 24p Laser II prop. I am looking for the the best ptp and if any of you have any ideas of speed or have set one of these up before that would be great. The stern is a protruding shape, like a "built in" jack plate design if that helps. Thanks

2. Member
    I think your prop is too much pitch for that boat and motor. I'd drop down to a 21" pitch.

3. Member
    Ok, I thought so too. I will set the ptp at 3" below pad and get some base line numbers too start next week hopefully.

4. Member
    Got my new water pump kit in today. I went with the complete kit. Going to install it and change the lower fluid. Then get the 6" jp on. Does anyone know if you use a sealer or rtv behind the jp when you bolt it up? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by TNRoostertail View Post
    Got my new water pump kit in today. I went with the complete kit. Going to install it and change the lower fluid. Then get the 6" jp on. Does anyone know if you use a sealer or rtv behind the jp when you bolt it up? Thx
    Yes, you should seal the bolts.

6. Member
    3M 4200 or 5200 sealant

7. Member
    Ok thx guys.

8. Member
    Well the boat came with the original 3 blade aluminum prop thats a 17p. I am thinking of maybe trying it first next week. Which would you guys try first?

9. Member
    Run the 24" laser II and then you'll have some idea of how many rpm's you need to gain.

10. Member
    Roger that. I will start 3" below pad and do the regular 1/4" at a time run through.

11. Member
    You can start at 3" under but if it blows out or you can't get any speed or it shows low water pressure you may have to drop the motor. That motor weighs under 325 Lbs too.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 09-05-2017 at 09:42 PM.

12. Member
    Oh wow it's lighter than I thought then. When I put my info into the mercury prop selector it tells me to run a 24p Laser 2. Idk we will see what happens.

13. Pat Goff
    Do NOT EVER use 3M 5200 to seal anything, it's adhesive not sealer.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

14. Member
    Would some good ole permatex clear waterproof silicon work on the bolts? And do I have to use stainless bolts? I have a plethora of black oxide coated bolts at my disposal.

15. Member
    Use stainless or galvanized. Mercury sells fine thread galvanized bolts with the hardened washers in a kit. I'd use polyurethane caulk/sealant before I'd use silicone for under water sealing.

16. Member
    Right on thx. So when you say poly caulk your talking about tub and shower caulk? Sorry nit a caulk guru.

17. Member
    No urethane is what it will be labeled that poly tub caulk your talking about gets hard. Any where you buy caulk the 3M products should be available in small tubes and if you can't find it use RTV silicone.

18. Member
    Ok thx. Will the jack plate mount up to the holes already in the transom from the 115 merc or will i have to fill them and make new ones? Thx

19. Member
    Should bolt right up.

20. Member
    Right on! Thx again guys. I found a guy in town who has a 20p Laser 2 prop and he may let me try it out if what I have doesn't work out. I have never been a fan if three blade props but I will give these a solid try.