Banned

Lower unit bearings and seals kit?

2002 Mercury 90ELPT Serial #0T562954

Looking at replacing my bearings/seals in my lower unit, is there an all inclusive kit or do I need to piece meal it together?
    Thank you

2. Banned
    Just in case anyone was wondering, I found a seal kit (part#43035A4) that had most of what I needed except for a few seals and O-rings. Had to piece meal all the bearings out. I just found some exploded diagrams and made a list. Not too bad, all the parts ran me about $175.
    I've rebuilt several engines and a couple transfer cases and also have a friend that owns a transmission shop that's done a few Merc gear boxes. I'm pretty confident between the 2 of us that we can get this done right to finally get rid of that "gear whine" howl.

3. Member
    Is this an attempt to fix the whine you described in the other post? Please post your results. My '14 115 4s is making a similar noise so I'm definitely tuned in. Hope you get it taken care of.

4. Banned
    Yes, one interesting thing I found was the big tapered bearing and race forward of the pinion gear was very discolored. Bearing cage had a brown tint and the hardfacing on the race was pretty much gone. Seemed to have gotten very hot at one time

5. Banned
    Mike, can you tell where the sound is coming from? Mine initially seemed like it was coming from the water pump area.

6. Member
    I think mine is from the water pump area but I haven't taken the time to run it in the driveway and try and pinpoint it. I need to do that. It's time for a service anyway.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will DEFINITELY want the OEM Mercury Service Manual, as there are multiple (required) special tools and service techniques needed to replace the bearings in your gearcase.

We do not normally recommend gearcase repairs as a "DIY" project for this reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    Yes Don, I have the manual and ended up having to "farm out" the labor of replacing the upper needle bearing and the pinion bearing race.