East Texas Boat choice

I just moved to Longview Texas and was wondering what's everyone's take on what's a comfortable size bass rig to fish East Texas with? Is a 20+ footer absolutely necessary? I sold my last rig before moving here and am now chomping at the bit to go fishing. Needless to say,my circles of friends here in Texas equate to not a single fisherman so far. So I guess I'll just have to purchase another rig. Just really wondering if the big rigs are really necessary or just a "Texas" thing.
    \" If you ain\'t first, you\'re last!\"

2. Member
    I would say yes. If you plan on fishing lakes like fork, Rayburn or Toledo then get at least a 20' boat

3. Member
    I like 188 with a 200 merc.prox

4. Banned
    Doesn't get any better than a Triton 22trx for ride on some of theses lakes.

5. Member
    You can do anything you need in an 18 or 19, but bigger equals more comfort

6. Member
    I have an 18' xpress I will be dumping as soon as this disaster is over. It does the job but by no means is a pretty fiberglass rig.

I lack comfort in an 18' but can get in areas bigger boats can't (at least the last time I fished from it). That part I'll probably give up for some comfort as I get older.

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/

8. Member
    A glass rig over 18' will get you by in almost all conditions. A 21'+ rig is of course the most comfortable but I've been out in 20+mph north winds on rayburn where we launched at the dam and it blew in while we were out. Was it fun? Heck no, but I never felt unsafe in my dad's zx190, had to borrow it while mine was in the shop. If you plan on fishing in the wind and offshore a lot I wouldn't go less than 20'. If your mainly a "fair weather" fisherman 18'+ is plenty. I'm looking at this from a perspective of rayburn and toledo. If your going to be on mainly small lakes the shorter rig will be fine

9. Member
    I mainly fish Lake o' Pines and Caddo, but fish Fork a couple times a year. I fish a 19' boat and love it. But I dont fish when the winds get above 15 and primarily fish shallow. I hate fishing in the wind.

I would say it depends on your fishing style.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

10. Banned
    The way the wind can blow in Texas and these lakes get rough as hell you will regret not going with the bigger boat.

11. Member
    Thanks for the info and advice. Storage length and garage space are my deciding factors now. So a twenty footer ain't happening! Guess I will be going with what fits in the garage. I will not ever buy a boat just to see it get cooked by the sun again. Thinking maybe a little tricked out Margay will have to suffice for now.

Quote Originally Posted by discloco View Post
    Thanks for the info and advice. Storage length and garage space are my deciding factors now. So a twenty footer ain't happening! Guess I will be going with what fits in the garage. I will not ever buy a boat just to see it get cooked by the sun again. Thinking maybe a little tricked out Margay will have to suffice for now.
    Would the Sabre fit? I had a Sabre before my Eyra and really liked it. It had the flipping deck which gave it a little more deck space. I thought it rode pretty good for an 18 foot boat.

13. Member
    Smart move. Measure the garage 3 or 4 times and most forums have the measurements on them. My advice is get the biggest you can fit/afford. I only have about 2 or 3 inches to spare. I was sweating it while I was waiting and hoping everybody was right on the measurements.

Depends on your style of fishing. I like to flip pitch and max boat is 20' for me to get in and around brush. Off shore guys like Chance and John like bigger boats.

15. Banned
    The best advice I can give is whatever you boat you buy put an Ultrex on it.

16. Member
    Hey there.

I'm from Carthage, 25 miles due south of you on SH149. Buy the biggest fiberglass boat you can get in your garage. I bought a 19' boat when I retired 7 years ago. A few weeks later I got a place on Lake Fork, and 19' is fine there. I have also spent a lot of time down on Falcon Lake, and I always wish for a bigger boat down there (or on Toledo or Rayburn). My 19 footer has always gotten me back safely, but a 20 or 21 would be much dryer and comfortable. Better on the nerves on those big lakes, too.

17. Member
    The margay will do just fine. My boat is 17'7 with a 150 and does great. I mainly fish caddo and pines but has been out in Rayburn and Toledo bend. Has always gotten me back safely but yes when it gets rough as in a storm coming it's not fun. But it's not fun in any boat when that happens. Plus with the margay your not spending 40+ thousand on a rig

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    The margay will do just fine. My boat is 17'7 with a 150 and does great. I mainly fish caddo and pines but has been out in Rayburn and Toledo bend. Has always gotten me back safely but yes when it gets rough as in a storm coming it's not fun. But it's not fun in any boat when that happens. Plus with the margay your not spending 40+ thousand on a rig
    Are you running a Margay?

19. Member
    Are you running a Margay?
    No I'm actually running a 86 180 raycraft with a 150 Blackmax foot with an xr6 power head. Same length as the margay but narrower. But have been studying the margay a lot and will be my next rig
    Last edited by jc1992; 09-13-2017 at 08:22 AM.