Telescopic rods question

So I just got a telescopic rod from a BBCer---good transaction, rod is in very good shape. But I didn't realize that the first guide from the reel seat would be so far, to allow for the blank to retract into the butt section. I don't hate it, but I think I might permanently fix the blank in place and add a stripper guide in between the first guide and the reel seat. So my questions are these: Has anyone used a rod like this and does the length between the reel seat and the first guide change the way the rod performs? And if I do decide to fix the blank in place is it as simple as using a really strong epoxy? Certainly not the end of the world, and I'm happy with the rod. But it just made me wonder.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

It should be fine to fish with it that way.

3. Member
    I just purchased an older American Rodsmith from 90's. I love it. Use it mainly to throw Carolina rig. Had an Allstar years ago and loved it too. I have never noticed the diff in eye space from reel seat.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

I don't think I explained it fully. It's a Falcon Cara McClelland flipping stick. The description calls it "a true flipping stick." I never really understood that but when I saw the rod I got it right away--the long space between reel and first eye lets you pull out the line to flip with. Never seen that before. I don't flip that much but I do pitch a lot. Just thinking of putting another guide on there.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    I will confirm, no problem just the way they are. Want to buy more?, I have three I would let go cheap, one is 7'6" Berkley and two are Diawa 7', they are all in like new shape, PM me if interested

6. Member
    You can add a guide but it's not going to make much of a difference. It'll pitch pretty much the same. I've got a few telescoping flip sticks that I use regularly and a good number of blanks that I haven't built yet (can usually get a good deal on them). IMO I'd leave it as is, I wouldn't epoxy it in place.

Well, got out on the water with it today, and it was AWESOME! Honestly, this might be the best purchase I've ever made on BBC. Nothing wrong with the rod as it is, so I won't be changing a thing. Got this 3 pounder on it, plus a bunch more. IMG_0169.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    Well, got out on the water with it today, and it was AWESOME! Honestly, this might be the best purchase I've ever made on BBC. Nothing wrong with the rod as it is, so I won't be changing a thing. Got this 3 pounder on it, plus a bunch more.