Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    jc2bg gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by deanc
    I pretty much agree with the garbage comments..especially considering the specs the battery has...other premuim batteries with the same specs do a much better job.
    Problem is that most any battery purchaser does not know the actual specs of their batteries....for example: "usable" discharge %'s is not typically published.....nor is the estimated life cycles at the "usable" discharge limit.

If you only check your batteries published amp-hours and Reserve Capacity (RC) minutes specs, you really don't know much about the battery you are buying..... and willjoin those complaining here after it fails if not properly monitoring it with a battery gauge and stopping to recharge everytime when needed. If the TM is slowing or their sonars are resetting they are already too late.

Two batteries that each are spec'ed at 100 amp-hours and 200 RC minutes can prove to be very different batteries.....

one, such a 100 Amphour Interstate flooded battery has only 50 usable Amp-hours, while another such as a Delta premium AGM will safely provide 80 usable Amphours. (The AGM would actually have 160% of the usable capacity of the flooded lead acid.)

The guy with the battery able to be discharged more heavily to only 20% of its' capacity will likely enjoy a much long battery life though the published specs of the two batteries are the same.

Just need to 1) buy enough battery even if they are Interstates and 2) monitor them during the heavier discharge cycles to prevent becoming over-discharged and damaged with permanently sulphated plates. If the TM is slowing or their sonars are resetting they are already too late.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-30-2017 at 07:47 PM.

I just want a battery that can take a day of tournament fishing that will meet the demand of my boat how its rigged. Then I want to plug in the charger and have it be ready for the next day. I don't expect to have to worry about discharge rates, depth of discharge all that BS...Im not an electrical engineer, all I can do is read the difference in capacity, specs and price when Im shopping for a battery. If the interstate AGM 31 or any battery for that matter can't handle a day of tournament fishing in a ranger boat, it damn well shouldn't be installed and advertised as being able to do so. Most Ranger guys will gladly pay for quality...Just sell me a fing battery that will do the job without having to worry about all that BS. Rant over....

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    There is no battery, not even a lithium that can not be overdischarged when sized too small and not being monitored.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I just want a battery that can take a day of tournament fishing that will meet the demand of my boat how its rigged. Then I want to plug in the charger and have it be ready for the next day. I don't expect to have to worry about discharge rates, depth of discharge all that BS...Im not an electrical engineer, all I can do is read the difference in capacity, specs and price when Im shopping for a battery. If the interstate AGM 31 or any battery for that matter can't handle a day of tournament fishing in a ranger boat, it damn well shouldn't be installed and advertised as being able to do so. Most Ranger guys will gladly pay for quality...Just sell me a fing battery that will do the job without having to worry about all that BS. Rant over....

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

5. BBC SPONSOR

6. Member
    I would add a warning... when you notice a problem with batteries, it is better to replace 'em sooner rather than later.

Last year my 80# maxxum pro would drag my bass cat pantera classic about 3mph over calm water. This summer we began to lose some speed. By July or so max speed was down to 2.2mph or so, same conditions. I kept using them planning on replacing over the winter. A month or so back, my son and I were out fishing and after about an hour, I kicked it up to max to cross the creek we were in, I noticed that max speed was down to 1.0 mph. I stopped and asked him to check the batteries to see if anything was hot, a loose connection, or whatever. He opened the lid and quickly said "we have a broken wire". I thought "that would do it." Went back and it was one of the charger wires. Couldn't figure out how that might have happened. As he was looking over my shoulder, he noticed the least visible battery had no caps (flooded cell battery). I distinctly remembered checking the batteries a couple of weeks previously and adding a little water, then replacing the caps. As we looked further, I noticed that the strap that holds the batteries down was broken. Really getting strange now. I found the battery caps and put them back on the battery and they would not stay in, way too loose. Got a flashlight this time and then saw big cracks in the top of that back battery. I could actually lift the plastic top completely away on one end.

My speculation is that the battery literally exploded at some point in time. We did not hear any sort of thump/etc while fishing, so perhaps an internal short while charging lit off the hydrogen gas that is produced. Looked like the battery popped, which blew the caps out, broke the top of the case, broke the strap that holds them down, and ripped the charger wire. And before you ask, no big waves or rough water at all between when the water was added and the problem was found.

Fortunately nothing was hurt in the bilge area, and I now have two new Duracell (East Penn aka Deka) batteries that have restored full power and battery life. When a battery starts to fade, I will replace quickly from now on, as an exploding battery could do serious damage or even cause a fire.
    Last edited by OldTimer57; 09-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. Member
    I put an x-2 Power in my Ranger. I'm running two Helix 10 G2N and a Talon. Have no issues even when running the pumps on the timer for a 9 hour tournament, motor spins over as strong as it did @6am.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

8. Member
    G2 is not an optimax. Optimax has to spin 2+ revolutions before it can light off, to allow the compressor to build up the necessary air pressure needed for the injection system. That's a significant drain.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Dean,
    I have the big dog battery from NorthStar.
    This thing is a stud of a battery

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    Dean,
    I have the big dog battery from NorthStar.
    This thing is a stud of a battery
    I got tired of these 80 pound anchors...I went Lithium.

11. Member
    Funny you should mention the weight.
    I dropped a testical getting in position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    Funny you should mention the weight.
    I dropped a testical getting in position.
    Ive heen nursing a strained rotator cuff for amost two months...pretty sure I injured it pulling the group 31AGM out of my boat. So i know what you mean...getting old sux!

13. Member
    Hds 12 gen 3 pulls 2.0 amps, turning off backlight would drop it under 2.0 according to Lowrance. Not sure where the 4.0 amp draw figure is coming from ?

14. Member
    Headed to replace my interstate group 29 wet cells now that came new with boat in Dec of 2015 so not even 3 years of use had to replace staring battery last year

15. Member
    You guys do realize that the Group size (BCI) Has absolutely nothing to do with battery performance right? Group Size is the dimensions!

Typically the larger the more bang you get, but that is not always the case!

The ONLY thing that Matters is RC (reserve capacity) or AH (AmpHour) and MCA or CCA for starting as far as performance.

Starting batteries are no longer in Bass boats just starting the engine, they are also running a lot of other electronics.

So,,, the best battery is a battery rated for the recommended CCA or MCA for the engine (minimum) and the Highest RC or Ah value you can find.

Notice the differences, they are both Group 27!

West Marine

Group Size: Group 27
    •Terminal Type: Molded-in SAE posts and vertical 5/16” NEG., 5/16” POS stainless steel studs with hex nuts
    •Cold Cranking Amps (CCA):840 CCA
    •Marine Cranking Amps (MCA):1050 MCA
    •Reserve Minutes: 182 Res. Min.
    •Weight: 57 ½ lbs.
    •Dimensions: 12 1/2"L x 6 3/4"W x 9 3/8"H
    •Warranty: 12-month free replacement

Interstate

Group:27
    Model:SC27DM
    CCA:800
    MCA:1000
    RC:140
    Dimensions:12 3⁄16x6 13⁄16x8 3⁄4

I don't have issues with any of my batteries ran a set of Interstates for 4years until I replaced them.
    They key is look at the rating's,,,not the Group Size! You will be happy and your battery will last longer, because it won't be drained below 50% all the time.

Also, charge immediately after every fishing trip, some tourney guys I know will practice up to 2 full days without charging, then charge them up before the tournament. It is hard on any battery when you do that. And they wonder why there replacing there battery/s after a year!

Now more expensive batteries like Crown and others, do or may use virgin lead, But you will pay for it! Helps with performance. Compared to other manufactures that use recycled lead.

In most cases the batteries factory or dealer installed (a lot use interstates). Are undersized from the get go. Money savings to them. If your an avid tourney guy upgrade your batteries to high capacity to support the three 12inch graphs, pumps, talon/PP, jackplate etc.

IMO there is nothing wrong with interstate's at all, just underrated batteries being installed from the get go for the demand required.
    Last edited by moetorola; 09-18-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12