Thread: Verado oil leak

Verado oil leak

2017 Verado 350 2B443058. (port/counter) Followed Break in compulsively. Changed engine and LU oils at 20 hrs. At 30 hrs noticed oil leaking from around Drain plug hole and tail end of Lower unit mid section junction (presumably flowing down top of Lower unit) flowing down on cavitation plate. Thought I might have done something wrong with oil change although Same procedure on Starboard side was fine.
    Pulled Bolt / changed gasket and reinstalled ,and several drips per minute turned into a full flow. Lost about 1 gallon overnight. Although there are many places oil can leak this began and got worse after removing and re installing drain bolt. No oil leak around power head or filter.
    Any ideas before going back to dealer? Can drain tube push back up in midsection and prevent bolt from sealing? Or can drain tube come loose at sump? Bob B

2. Member
    Drain tube was split both sides> Torque value for Drain bolt is only 7 Ft-lbs. Beware.

bummer
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Yep... Note also that in the engine oil change procedure in the owners manual and service manual, it says only to replace drain plug and gasket. There is no instruction to torque to specification.
    In the service manual midsection/exploded parts diagram, there is a chart listing 84.5 in-lbs for drain plug. Who knew?
    There are instructions for torquing spark plugs and Lower unit drain plugs, screws and all the other relevant DIY procedures.
    Funny though, I called Mercury and made my pitch. The expected response was,they had thousands of drain tubes out there and have not had a problem with product failure. "When a tube splits it is ALWAYS from over tightening" . So I asked him how many times he had seen that happen? His reply.... "you're the first". I almost laughed