Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raymarine Axiom 9 RV w/ RealVision 3D SONAR

Does anyone have experience with these? I am currently using a Dragonfly Pro 7.

2. Member
    Several screen shots and comments on this forum. It's new, so won't take too long to get caught up.

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have a 12! What do you want to know?

4. Member
    The build quality on the Raymarine Axiom /3D is the best I've seen. The connectors for sonar/power etc. are awesome. Super fast processor boots up quick. The 3D view is very cool and I found more useful than some other 3D programs. 2D CHIRP was on par with most of the other brands. Mapping is excellent. The negatives are the down and side vision. Raymarine needs a little work there when compared to Lowrance Structure Scan and Humminbird MEGA imaging. The Sun cover won't stay on very long if you like to keep your unit on the boat when trailering.

Brian

5. Member
    Software v3.2 coming soon...clarity is getting there
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    I'll give my honest opinion on the Axiom 9RV. After using the Axiom 9RV since release, I wouldn't buy the Axiom over the Humminbird Mega or Lowrance if you use side vision and down vision. I think the Axiom can be an outstanding unit if future firmware/software can improve performance. I agree that the chirp sonar is decent and is what I use most when trolling for walleye. The 3D is nice but for me is only useful on certain kinds of structure, really lake dependent. I'll be using my 9RV till end of season and if performance vastly improves with updates, will buy a 12RV for next year. If performance stays the same and updates are slow to be rolled out, I'll jump ship and buy a Mega or Lowrance. I want the Axiom to work as I like the Hardware/Design and the build quality is 10x that of Humminbird or Lowrance. Overall, for the $1650 I paid for the unit, I expected performance to at least match the others.

7. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    I'll give my honest opinion on the Axiom 9RV. After using the Axiom 9RV since release, I wouldn't buy the Axiom over the Humminbird Mega or Lowrance if you use side vision and down vision. I think the Axiom can be an outstanding unit if future firmware/software can improve performance. I agree that the chirp sonar is decent and is what I use most when trolling for walleye. The 3D is nice but for me is only useful on certain kinds of structure, really lake dependent. I'll be using my 9RV till end of season and if performance vastly improves with updates, will buy a 12RV for next year. If performance stays the same and updates are slow to be rolled out, I'll jump ship and buy a Mega or Lowrance. I want the Axiom to work as I like the Hardware/Design and the build quality is 10x that of Humminbird or Lowrance. Overall, for the $1650 I paid for the unit, I expected performance to at least match the others.

I appreciate the review.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

8. Member
    smallykiller - I can't disagree with the initial launch. That said, software updates are coming quickly and the image I posted above is arguably the best SideVision clarity we've ever had. We've also improved the DownVision color contrast and it's dialed in. Sonar is dialed in and 3D will be a huge tool as people use and learn what it can do.

Part of of the initial release "limited features" was due to the amount of work needed to get Axiom going. Quad core processor, all-in-one transducer and internal processing was no small task. Software v 3.2 (soon to come) will put Axiom back on par with a full feature set and will it disappoint. Also, future updates will continue to enhance an already great product platform.
    Last edited by Jig34; 08-30-2017 at 09:10 PM.

9. Member
    Jig34 - Thanks for your response. There are a lot of things I like about my Axiom and will continue using it. I'm really hoping the side vision is equal to a first gen Humminbird Helix si or Lowrance Totalscan with Software v 3.2. I need enough detail to see sand and gravel/rock transitions more clearly for fall smallmouth in Sturgeon Bay.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have had issues with my side view from my Axiom once I turned down the scrolling.

The down isn't as good as my older Raymarines but still playing with it.

The menu and speed is so much faster and easier to use than the other platforms!!

I wouldn't trade my units for anything out there. You can just look at all the issues on the other stuff in there forums!

11. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I'm still waiting before purchasing, but that's ok for me since I am a kayak angler. I really don't need one until I start fishing unfamiliar waters, and that will not be until next Spring. I'm awaiting reviews on new software upgrades and will go from there.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

12. Member
    I have 2 Axiom 12's and previously had HB Onix units. I've messed around with a bunch of the different brands and I can say that the Raymarine Lighthouse 3 is the most user friendly of any of them. It will take you 5 minutes to comfortable with it. Love that as the Onix units were much more complicated.
    2021 Falcon F20 Predator
    2021 Mercury 250 ProXS

I made the plunge and I'm going for it. I bought 2 Axiom 9's today! One for the console and one for the bow. I took Jig's recommendation he sent me and bought the transducer shield for the TM mounted CPT-100. They currently do not have a RV-100 transom mount shield but the lady I spoke with today told me that it might be in the works soon (only a jackplate mount for the RV-100). I did not take the approach of buying a crazy expensive bass boat and ended up settling on a 2002 Skeeter SX 190. I've been emailing people all day trying to find the best way to mount it but having no luck so far. I was wanting to stay away from the ram mounts but unless someone has a better recommendation, it might be my only choice. Taking this weekend off but I'm putting these to the test in 2 weeks and I can't wait!

14. Member
    Ram or Kong style are the most popular. Regarding the RV-100, jack plate mount is probably the most versatile to start.

PM me if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Jig34; 09-22-2017 at 10:22 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo_06 View Post
    I made the plunge and I'm going for it. I bought 2 Axiom 9's today! One for the console and one for the bow. I took Jig's recommendation he sent me and bought the transducer shield for the TM mounted CPT-100. They currently do not have a RV-100 transom mount shield but the lady I spoke with today told me that it might be in the works soon (only a jackplate mount for the RV-100). I did not take the approach of buying a crazy expensive bass boat and ended up settling on a 2002 Skeeter SX 190. I've been emailing people all day trying to find the best way to mount it but having no luck so far. I was wanting to stay away from the ram mounts but unless someone has a better recommendation, it might be my only choice. Taking this weekend off but I'm putting these to the test in 2 weeks and I can't wait!
    I would avoid the ram ball mounts for larger units at the bow. I have the ram swing arm mount for the console and love it and a Cisco Mount for the bow. The balzout mounts are really good as well but can be a little more difficult to adjust the fish finder. I prefer the Cisco mount at the bow for this reason. I have 12" Humminbirds on the bow and they are rock solid

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    I would avoid the ram ball mounts for larger units at the bow. I have the ram swing arm mount for the console and love it and a Cisco Mount for the bow. The balzout mounts are really good as well but can be a little more difficult to adjust the fish finder. I prefer the Cisco mount at the bow for this reason. I have 12" Humminbirds on the bow and they are rock solid
    Why stay away from ram mounts on the bow? FYI: I've never used them.

17. Member
    RAM are awesome mounts, but they are a “ball & socket” tension style. Larger units are heavy and pounding waves increase the force. Mounts with “teeth” aren’t as likely to slip or move. If used correctly, nothing wrong with RAM. Teeth just give an added level of comfort for some.

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Last few boats have had Kong mounts by T&H. They don’t move even with 12& 16 inch graphs mounted on them!!

19. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    If you have a recessed foot pedal up front there is nothing better than a precision sonar mount over the pedal in my opinion. This keeps the unit centered in the boat and there’s nothing to break as it’s a rock solid aluminum bracket. I run a ram mount with a Axiom 12 at the console but that’s only because the Ram mount was already there. I hate that it moves in rough water so I’m interested in checking out other aluminum mounts when I get another boat. My only worry with these Kong, balzout, etc mounts is there’s no give but I guess that is no different than my over the pedal mount up front so I will be trying something different than a RAM going forward.

20. Member
    Does the transducer work for mounting on a trolling motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast