Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ease of Driving Bassport Pro

Been looking at this boat a while - primarily looking for a good boat to handle rough big Texas lake water. I've looked at the new Lund and even a few deeper v flats boats like the Sterling and Egret. Just looking for a decent ride that won't beat me up on a bad day at Rayburn or Toledo.

Ive owned a Basscat Eyra, which is a decent riding boat and relatively fast. It could be a handful to drive above 75 or so. Anyone on here have any experience that could compare the ease of driving the Allison vs something like the Eyra? I'm not wanting anything super fast but I do want a boat I can handle comfortably in chop and handle mid seventies without a sense of fighting chine too much.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Your gonna have to drive any performance boat but saying that when they are setup properly they are very easy to drive. Nothing drives worse than a poorly setup boat. I find the XB21 very easy to drive but others struggle with it.

My boat will cruise at 82ish @ 4900 rpm loaded to fish with 2 and full fuel and a 29 X-O/B....it takes very little correction at those speeds, if you back it down to 70 it will drive itself.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Your gonna have to drive any performance boat but saying that when they are setup properly they are very easy to drive. Nothing drives worse than a poorly setup boat. I find the XB21 very easy to drive but others struggle with it.

My boat will cruise at 82ish @ 4900 rpm loaded to fish with 2 and full fuel and a 29 X-O/B....it takes very little correction at those speeds, if you back it down to 70 it will drive itself.
    +1. And left to right balance is critical on any v-pad performance boat. And balance it how you normally run it. IF solo, balance solo, if with a partner, balance with a partner.

Took mine to Falcon in February. Handled the north wind really well.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    Been looking at this boat a while - primarily looking for a good boat to handle rough big Texas lake water. I've looked at the new Lund and even a few deeper v flats boats like the Sterling and Egret. Just looking for a decent ride that won't beat me up on a bad day at Rayburn or Toledo.

Ive owned a Basscat Eyra, which is a decent riding boat and relatively fast. It could be a handful to drive above 75 or so. Anyone on here have any experience that could compare the ease of driving the Allison vs something like the Eyra? I'm not wanting anything super fast but I do want a boat I can handle comfortably in chop and handle mid seventies without a sense of fighting chine too much.
    I have been in 2 bassport elite pros. The Bassport elite pro handles big water well. It gets out of the pocket quicker (inside of the base of the trough). You will need some seated time.,,,just learning to drive it. Take a weekend and you will be good.

The boat is most amazing to me in mid-range rough chop conditions. Its fast, stable and handles better. Its fun to drive. It has plenty of storage. Gets the best fuel econ and corners like it is on rails. Been in many bass cats, few phoenix, many skeeters, rangers, champs, stratos, javlins, nitros, legends and many others. I am amazed. With a little seated time. It will drive as easy as any ranger to 70. It drives easy at 78-80 in my opinion, with a heavy tournament loada. The difference is the Bassport does it more efficient and faster. Once you learn how to use the keel in rough water its awesome. Its much better than the average bass hull much better. Another thing that impressed me was the fact, you love to drive it (whether fishing or boating). Its just fun to drive.

6. Member
    It's easier to drive over 80 in my opinion. .. somewhere around 65ish to 75ish it requires more input.. once you get to 80ish... it seems to be very smooth to me... a different XB21 though, but I'd imagine it's similar.

7. Member
    Thanks for all of the input - much appreciated. Sounds like to the host handles very similiar to my Eyra in regards to handling at speed. I need to get a ride in one.

Mine is a dream to drive to around 60 then a tad ill to 75 then a dream above 80+++ Good thing is from 60-75 is only a few seconds lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    +1. And left to right balance is critical on any v-pad performance boat. And balance it how you normally run it. IF solo, balance solo, if with a partner, balance with a partner.
    Balance is very critical!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

10. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Its just fun to drive.
    This!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    Mine is a dream to drive to around 60 then a tad ill to 75 then a dream above 80+++ Good thing is from 60-75 is only a few seconds lol

Pretty much how I see it too...

12. BBC SPONSOR
    I drove one with the wrong Gearcase to 80, once right case was on I was over 90 with ease. One of my favorite boats to drive
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

13. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    driving a v-pad is like learning to ride a bicycle once you learn the "skill" you'll never forget it.

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    driving a v-pad is like learning to ride a bicycle once you learn the "skill" you'll never forget it.
    Yep. True.
    And just like a bicycle, if the bicycle has 100 lbs sticking out of one side making it out of balance, it can be very difficult to learn to drive.

15. Member
    Listen to these guy's, they have been driving performance pad boats for a long time and I would consider them veterans as I have only been driving a Stroker for 10 years and a novice. Balance is critical on a perf pad hull. I carried a 4 ft level for quite a while when first learning the Stroker.

16. Member
    I have found on the bassport if the motor is too low it can be a bear to drive as well. I had a spacer removed and somehow ended up 1"-1/2" below the pad thinking I was even to 1/2" over and it was a bit frustrating until I got it right.

17. Member
    Your message and question is greatly appreciated because you are referring to areas I frequent in my XB21 BassSport / 300XS. Understanding your concern about ride on our big Texas Lakes i wanted to share some experience. I've owned my Allison 2 years now. Unfortunately the last 2 years of work have been grueling therefore minimizing my time on the water but none the less I have run the big Texas lakes. As you know 2' to 3' waves are very common. In brief (cause I can be to detailed) the Allison is very different in ride characteristics; the long keel makes allot of difference in more ways that ride. IMO, the Allison rides better than all a higher speeds but not better than some at lower speeds. White caps start rolling I run 50 to 65, air born occasionally but soft entry and totally dry. If I try to puts around in the chop it's just not as pleasant. Some people get excited about a quick pace in rough water and simply want to puts around...if that is your style there are other attributes about the Ally you would find amazing. I've been on Sam Rayburn, pre-thunderstom, fish bitting, waited to long to leave, white caps rolling and bunched close together, 80mph perfect ride. You will greatly appreciate the Ally sir.
    Carte's Custom

18. Member
    Cartesthat makes sense you either have to run below 30 in the rough or above 50. Between 30-50 it's not easy to ruminate the rough

Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Cartesthat makes sense you either have to run below 30 in the rough or above 50. Between 30-50 it's not easy to ruminate the rough
    Agreed!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Get on top and let'er eat
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast