2016 Mercury 4S 150 hp oil change

S/N 2B246236

I'm attempting to remove the oil filter, and I swear it was installed with red lock-tite, and welded on for good measure! I managed to break my strap-type oil filter wrench, and want to buy a Mercury specific oil filter wrench. The YouTube video of the Mercury oil change procedure shows a cap that fits over the filter. Anyone know what Mercury item # this is? Also, anyone have any keys to loosening the filter?

2. Member
    Take your new filter to the auto part store and match it with a cap style.

Those cap style oil filter tools will just slip right over the notches on the filter especially if its so tight your strap wrench wont turn it. On an extremely tight filter i like the 3 finger style with a 3/8" drive the more pressure yoy apply the tighter it grabs and you can get a ton of leverage.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVANT-Adju.../dp/B017THUBFK
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Member
    Fwiw I like the slip joint pliers style. I have two different size channelock brand filter pliers that work unbelievably well.

Update- No luck finding a match at the auto parts store so I ordered a Mercury cap wrench online. FWIW, the item # is 91-889277K01. It fit over the filter perfectly but eventually slipped. (Who in the heck put this on at the factory? Popeye???). Anyway, I had to drive a large screwdriver through both sides of the filter and crank as hard as I could. The metal started to bend but eventually the filter loosened.

6. Banned
    Don't tell me that... I'm gonna attempt an oil change in the future and now you've given me doubts... ... Glad you got it off and changed... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Don't tell me that... I'm gonna attempt an oil change in the future and now you've given me doubts... ... Glad you got it off and changed... Dan
    Just like i posted above. Get one of these and you will twist it right off without issues.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVANT-Adju.../dp/B017THUBFK

8. Member
    Mine was the same way when I changed the oil. Had to use channel locks and a rubber strap at same time to get mine loose.