Jackplate or no Jackplate 2011 z118

I have 2011 z118 Ranger with a Mercury Pro XS 150. I run a 36 volt system with dual power poles. My top speed full load is about 51 miles per hour. Is it worth putting on a Jack Plate and if so what size would I need?

2. Member
    What prop are you running now? With all that extra weight, I'd be looking for a prop that'll lift the ass end out of the water some. Maybe try a Trophy. What might be worth it to you, may not be to someone else. A jack plate is usually good for a few mph, but also helps in other areas. I added a 6" jack plate to my 18' boat and it definitely helped. Biggest thing it helped with was handling, but I also gained about 3 mph.

3. Member
    How's the hole shot with all the weight? What are your rpm's at take off now, WOT rpm's and what prop are you running? A jack plate would allow you to better adjust the prop to pad height but you probably need another prop.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 08-28-2017 at 01:34 PM.

4. Member
    I'm running a 23 Tempest at the moment. The question I posed now is anyone having an issue with porpoising since they put the Jack Plate on? I spoke to the engineer at Ranger Boats and he told me putting the engine back eight inches could possibly give me porpoising issues, anyone experiencing that? Also my whole shot is still pretty good even with all the weight.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmsages24 View Post
    I'm running a 23 Tempest at the moment. The question I posed now is anyone having an issue with porpoising since they put the Jack Plate on? I spoke to the engineer at Ranger Boats and he told me putting the engine back eight inches could possibly give me porpoising issues, anyone experiencing that? Also my whole shot is still pretty good even with all the weight.
    Just be aware that you are going to be doing a lot of trial an error with jack plate height and props. You are changing the dynamics of the boat. I put a 6" jackplate on an aluminum express that ran fine without one and when I had a full load I could not get the boat to stop porposing after 42mph. No matter how high or low or which prop I tried. But when I was alone in the boat it performed better than ever. Never found a happy medium.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmsages24 View Post
    I would put it back 6" not 8" on a Z118.