Thread: Ethanol 89

Ethanol 89

Anybody run the 10% ethanol gas and sta-bil marine 360. I have filled up twice with ethanol free but it is just not feasible, 25 miles out of the way to get it and $3 a gallon. Talked with a marine tech today and he said could run ethanol but use ring free and stabil. Anybody doing this, the marine 360 is supposed to have the enzimes and octane boost, which he said I would need because the ethanol gas would not perform as well. And PS to definitely not mix the 2 gases. Thoughts, input please.

2. Member
    IMO that 25mi trip is worth every inch and penny for ethanol free. Are you burning 44gal of gas per trip, if not I would fill and go out a few times.

Stabil and ring free will work together.

3. Member
    I'm going to preach the same old sermon. Ignore everything you read on the internet including this site and me. Ignore everything every so called "marine technician" tells you.

READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL !! Follow it. If you don't have one, download one and read it.

I've got a 2002 200 HPDI that I bought new in 2002. Never put anything in it but 87 octane cheap gas. No Stabil, no Ring Free, just gas. Not saying this is correct for your motor, but I'm on 15 years and still going.
    Last edited by MCIPinkie; 08-27-2017 at 11:41 AM.

4. Member
    87 and ring free plus seafoam

5. Member
    I ran 87 with ring free and stabil in both 250 hpdi's I had and never had a problem.

6. Member
    I run 87 octane, Stabil and ringfree. If you run the ringfree you'll be fine, its hard to find ethonal free places if you move around to different lakes. I've had zero problems install a fuel water separator if you don't have one that helps as well.

Ring Free and Startron every fill up..7 yrs on the HPDI and zero problems. We can't get ethanol free fuel here. If you don't have an onboard fuel/water seperator get one..
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    It's not that bad if you do not let it get old, and run the stabilizers.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    I'm going to preach the same old sermon. Ignore everything you read on the internet including this site and me. Ignore everything every so called "marine technician" tells you.

READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL !! Follow it. If you don't have one, download one and read it.

I've got a 2002 200 HPDI that I bought new in 2002. Never put anything in it but 87 octane cheap gas. No Stabil, no Ring Free, just gas. Not saying this is correct for your motor, but I'm on 15 years and still going.
    My last boat had a merc 225 efi and ran cheap gas and cheap 2 stroke oil and that motor still runs like a scalded dog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Anybody run the 10% ethanol gas and sta-bil marine 360. I have filled up twice with ethanol free but it is just not feasible, 25 miles out of the way to get it and $3 a gallon. Talked with a marine tech today and he said could run ethanol but use ring free and stabil. Anybody doing this, the marine 360 is supposed to have the enzimes and octane boost, which he said I would need because the ethanol gas would not perform as well. And PS to definitely not mix the 2 gases. Thoughts, input please.
    I'd like to know where you found this non-ethanol gas. I haven't found any yet. So far, I have only used 87 octane with 10% ethanol in my boat. I don't start using Sta-Bil until the cooler months, because my boat usually doesn't sit longer than a week during the summer. As long as you run it often, the 10% ethanol won't hurt it.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

I have ran both. Mostly run non ethanol gas but from time to time I have to run regular gas with ethanol. I use Lucas Oil gas treatment and stablizer for marine engines. My manual states 89 Octane so I never go below that number. So far so good. Good Luck.

Dan

I run 87 or 89 ethanol, I burn it out pretty quick so I dont worry about Stabil, run seafoam every few tanks to keep it clean.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

2016 ZX225 manual..89 octane with ethanol and use RingFree...
    also Mercury makes an ethanol additive sold at War-Mart...
    most guys do not measure closely at each fill-up but use RF...
    one (cheapo?) guy with a 2015 Ranger/SHO told me he uses 87 and no additive...hummm

I object to the incredible rise in the cost of RingFree though..seems a rip...
    the whole assinine idea of STILL adding corn alcohol to gas after FRACKING was discovered really chaps me...

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

14. Member
    2004 225 HPDI, always ran 87 or 89 octane with ring free and marine stabil 360 and never had an issue. I can't stress enough to properly maintain the motor and properly warm up the motor before running hard. I rarely, if ever, hammered down on the motor without making a decent run at 4000-4500 rpm. People will say the opposite, but it worked for me. I've seen too many motors of all makes, models, and years blow on the initial run. People turn turn the key, and run a cold engine at 6k rpm and have issues.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

15. Member
    I am with you 100% on getting the engine up to temp before wot, even to get on plane. let her idle a few minutes and just ease along a couple hundred yards before taking off, not that hard to do.

87. Knock on wood, no problems so far.....