Thread: Hartwell help?

Hartwell help?

Heading down to prefish for the bass nation national in a couple of weeks, anyone willing to chat about baits/patterns etc?

2. JCWbassmaster
    Bait: Dropshot / Shakey head
    Pattern: Cast and pray

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Always have something top water tied on.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Always have something top water tied on.
    Plus 1. Spook or fluke, points & humps

5. Member
    We'll be there from the 8th ~ 17th. Way up the Tugaloo for the first half, then about up to Clemson on the Seneca the second half.

Been told points are big, look for the submerged ones, shoals along the islands on the main lake. Seems it (main lake) fishes better in the summer than the rivers.
    Spot bite is supposed to be as good as anywhere EVER (if they're biting) and a lot of fun. And of course the stripers will be chasing the spots.

Topwater, the old Devils Horse works (needs better hooks), spooks, plops etc, and I'm willing to bet spybaits (if you can find one).
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Member
    Sent you a PM earlier..... Not sure either of your plans is appropriate. Just saying. Not a shallow water fishery. You might can get a days worth of fish shallow in one area. You can fish 10 similar places and only catch fish in one. Not throwing rocks at all, but this is not like the NE that you are use to. You cant just go fish shallow grass and catch fish. (yes I use to live in NE at earlier point in my life....) Hartwell does not have shallow grass that you are use to. Not saying that shallow pattern is not way to go.... but mid October ish time frame is like fishing the NE in early September. You might find a shallow bite, but highly likely it will be resident fish that once you catch them once, you want catch them again..... If you are going to be here for a week. You need to fish 3 days within 5 miles of Andersonville Island. If you want to win, that is where you will find a winning pattern. Granted I am no expert but have lived here long enough to know what can win a multiple day tournament.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250 / 250SHO
    Brian

7. Member
    I think I'm seeing in your reply some of the info that I got from a local guy as well. He said fish Andersonville, fish it ALL, and OFTEN. Considering we'll be at different locations it shouldn't be too hard to work both sides and the main lake as well.

I'd really appreciate what works, where, during the time we're going to be there. PM will work if that's what you prefer. We're just going into this body of water totally green.

FWIW.... I'm rigging for night fishing as of the last couple weeks as well. Figure with the lights we can hit the water early, fish from predawn to after lunch then head back to the house(es). Just finished the Oznium bolts (all but 2) today. Red on the deck with blue in the TM tray, under the consoles, between the seats, and beside the splash tray. Green in the live wells just for the heck of it. All on switches, dimmers, and 4-channel wireless remotes of course. I've also got a couple green LED drop lights.

In addition.... Hopefully next week the NightFishion HD8 will be here. *IF they EVER get it built.* Been 5 weeks now, so we'll see.

We're thinking about finding a guide up that way that would be willing to go out with us in our boat if possible. Open for suggestions there as well.

Thanks,

Tony aka/Dixie Chicken

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWbassmaster View Post
    Bait: Dropshot / Shakey head
    Pattern: Cast and pray
    x2 Chrome gunfish on standby if schoolers pop up

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    All of the above works if you are dragging your boat down for the Tx if not you are at the mercy of your draw partner (boater). Sammies still work there too.

10. Member
    I'll be there for the Nation Championship too. I'm just two hours from the lake and absolutely HATE it!!! But.....I'm a shallow water guy if that tells you anything :)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    I'll be there for the Nation Championship too. I'm just two hours from the lake and absolutely HATE it!!! But.....I'm a shallow water guy if that tells you anything :)
    Then you must LOOOOOOOOVE Oconee!

Had a fellow tell me earlier this year that Sinclair was a really shallow lake. Obviously he'd NEVER been on Oconee.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave

12. Member
    I don't fish Oconee or Sincair much either, that requires me to drive around Atlanta :) Typically I'm in TN and AL fishing, they seem to have much better fisheries and put the effort into them. Plus they are shallow grass :)

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    I don't fish Oconee or Sincair much either, that requires me to drive around Atlanta :) Typically I'm in TN and AL fishing, they seem to have much better fisheries and put the effort into them. Plus they are shallow grass :)
    Looks like Irma is going to play against us next week at Hartwell. We've cancelled half the trip and letting a family in Charleston come down that is evacuating. Figure we'll go south to West Point or Eufaula end of the week. Eufaula's got grass, right?

Going back to Hartwell late in the month for 4 days. Maybe they'll be heading back up the rivers/creeks by then.

Saving Guntersville for a birthday trip next year.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

KVD Edition Hydrowave