Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Wanting to add reverse lights

I want to add reverse lights to my trailer. My trailer now has a 5 pin connector so I will need to run a wire and get a 7 pin connector. My question is can I buy any 7 pin connector or do certain ones have a spot for reverse lights? Obviously I am not great or knowledgeable with wiring so I am looking for some help.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A 5 pin connector has a wire for reverse lights. It's the blue wire.

IMO, it isn't worth the effort. You can't see behind the boat no matter what lights you have.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I thought the blue was for the brakes?

4. Member
    Only 4 wires are required for a regular trailer, so I'd say your 5th wire is for reverse lights. 7 wire rigs are required for electric trailer brakes.

5. Member
    I have trailer brakes on my trailer. The wire harness says BU above the blue wire.

6. Member
    My blue wire goes to the brake solenoid in my tongue.

The blue wire is "hot" when you put the truck in reverse. That activates the solenoid on the brakes to disengage them. You can also use that blue wire to drive your new backup lights. They would come on when you put the truck in reverse.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    The blue wire is "hot" when you put the truck in reverse. That activates the solenoid on the brakes to disengage them. You can also use that blue wire to drive your new backup lights. They would come on when you put the truck in reverse.
    This is correct. It's how I wired mine up. I got the Kawell lights off Amazon for about $10 apiece and they are awesome. I have them angled slightly out so I can see to the sides of the trailer and it makes it a ton better backing up.

Quote Originally Posted by jshelton2006 View Post
    I have them angled slightly out so I can see to the sides of the trailer and it makes it a ton better backing up.
    That right there...

10. Member
    5 pin has back up light wire in it?? bluewater leds are awesome for this!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    That's how mine is done

12. Member
    This is correct. It's how I wired mine up. I got the Kawell lights off Amazon for about $10 apiece and they are awesome. I have them angled slightly out so I can see to the sides of the trailer and it makes it a ton better backing up.
    Exactly what I did to my trailer. Makes backing down the ramp in the dark so much safer and easier!!! One thing that I highly recommend with the Kawells is to put a bead of silicone sealant around the lens. I suspect the reason why these are so inexpensive is because the lens-to-housing seal is NOT always waterproof as claimed. I got a leak on one of my first ones, but got another and applied the silicone. No leaks since.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

13. Member
    i have lots of kawell lights, very good for price point. I emailed them and they said waterproof is not submersible!! I use the bluewater cybermites and couldn't be more pleased with my back up view
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    i have lots of kawell lights, very good for price point. I emailed them and they said waterproof is not submersible!! I use the bluewater cybermites and couldn't be more pleased with my back up view
    The term "waterproof" has no legal meaning. You can claim any product is waterproof with no repercussions at all. What you want to see is IP67 or preferably IP68 though probably IP65, 66, 67, 68 or 69 would work for trailer lights.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

15. Banned
    I can't see behind my trailer anyway so just added some white LED's down the bottom of the trailer and wheel wells so I can see both sides backing down the ramp.

16. Banned

17. Member
    This is what I did also. The pair on amazon was $14 wired them to blue wire and have been doing great for 3 years now

18. Member
    Bought some from the popular auction site and worked really hard installing them. Everything is more difficult at 79. First trip out they got water inside them. What next? Thanks

19. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Bluewater....

20. Member
    On my boat I put the lights on the very outside edge and had them point up so I could see the straight back. Yes the blue wire will work, but make sure it can carry the current.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast