Trailer Makeover

Earlier this year my trailer was run into at Table Rock Lake while we were staying at a resort. Luckily, we were nearby and watched it happen. She ended up bending the spare tire bracket, damaging the spare tire and pinching the frame of the trailer slightly.

I filed a claim with her insurance and set about finding a company to repair the trailer. It took a few weeks of looking but I found a reputable company to fix the trailer. I also wanted to get some rust repaired and have the trailer Rhino Lined.

Here is a picture before I took the trailer in. At this point I had removed the diamond tread and all the lights. I also removed the bunks so I could redo them while it was in the shop.

The following is a picture after I got it back from the shop, put the new bunks on, replaced my winch and had installed most of the new LED lights.

The final pictures are after I picked my boat up from the lake.

I made a few changes that I really like. Previously my trailer was very noisy. This was mainly caused by the diamond tread rattling against the fenders and frame. The rhino lining quieted this down, but I also installed rubber washers between the trailer and diamond tread. The trailer now is almost dead quiet and water is not trapped between the fenders and tread.

Finally, I fixed all my trailer wiring. I got rid of the cheap electrical connectors and solder all the connections.

The only thing I have left to do is replace my tie down straps with trailer mounted straps.

Overall I am very happy with how the trailer turned out and I think it looks better now than it did when I bought it.

2. Member
    That looks great! Love the all black!

3. Member
    That looks really good did the insurance pay for the liner or did you have to come out of pocket?

Nice work !
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticslobra View Post
    That looks great! Love the all black!
    I had to pay a around $300 out of pocket. The cost for the rhino lining was around $700, but insurance paid for some painting and prep.

6. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Did you repaint the whole trailer and then get rhino liner or only spot painted? If you only spot painted did you have to prep the surface of the whole trailer before you did the Rhino Lining? I am getting ready to do the same thing on a trailer that I just purchased. Also where did you buy all of your replacement lights from?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yukongt View Post
    I had to pay a around $300 out of pocket. The cost for the rhino lining was around $700, but insurance paid for some painting and prep.
    I think the body shop just prepped the trailer for rhino lining by priming areas with damage or rust.

I did have the entire trailer painted and I got the replacement lights on amazon.

Looks great

That looks very sharp and alot of good upgrades to go with it. Good idea upgrading the wiring too. Cant beat soldered and sealed when dunking in the water.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    That looks very sharp and alot of good upgrades to go with it. Good idea upgrading the wiring too. Cant beat soldered and sealed when dunking in the water.
    Thanks! It amazes me that they do not do it from the factory. Its easy to do and much more reliable.

11. Member
    I Like it! Do you unplug the lights before backing in the water? Some one told me that's what they do.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner16 View Post
    I Like it! Do you unplug the lights before backing in the water? Some one told me that's what they do.
    I used to, but I don't anymore.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner16 View Post
    Don't need to with LEDS.

14. Member
    Very nice! Silly question - where was your boat while this was all being done? In the water?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    Very nice! Silly question - where was your boat while this was all being done? In the water?
    The insurance company paid for a slip while the trailer was being worked on. I wish I would of had a lift in the slip, but that was a no go.

16. Member
    Over all I'd say her insurance company treated you pretty good. I wouldn't like to leave my OLD boat in the water that long but you did what you could.

17. Member
    Looks great. It amazes me that trailer manufacturers are still using aluminum diamond plate without coating it as well. I can't stand the look of oxidized aluminum. As well, I hate polishing it as I find it to be to difficult and doesn't usually come out as good as I would like.