Banned

Very minor scratch removal questions

Hey guys, I have a fairly new ranger with low hours I picked up last fall. The previous owner never used it but I do. I have developed some very minor scratches, the ones you can only see at an angle and a few scuff marks from my humminbird plug that flopped around on transit (issue resolved). I'd like to polish these scratches out, I feel these don't require a wet sand and I don't really want that at this point. I have a polisher and just need advise on what compound to use. A local Canadian Tire carries 3M marine products. They have compound, restorer & wax, and marine cleaner & wax. Both these have a compound plus wax just one is heavier then the other. Opinions and tips?

thx guys

joe
    Last edited by jtracc; 08-24-2017 at 11:05 AM.

2. Member
    I'd start with a swirl remover. I use meguiars professional line so not sure which 3m product to recommend. Any type of swirl remover would most likely work with a buffer.

In my shop I use 3M Marine Compound and Finishing Material. Pair this with a rotary buffer and a wool cutting pad. If your not familiar with the rotary go slow. If you have a darker color boat there are other materials and pads to refine your shine if you will. If this doesn't remove the scratches. You may have to sand a little.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    In my shop I use 3M Marine Compound and Finishing Material. Pair this with a rotary buffer and a wool cutting pad. If your not familiar with the rotary go slow. If you have a darker color boat there are other materials and pads to refine your shine if you will. If this doesn't remove the scratches. You may have to sand a little.
    I picked up the 3M restorer so it has the compound and wax in one. I do have a polisher wheel but only have the terry cloth and micro fiber bonnets. Will these work??

They may....they don't have cutting power to aid in removing scratches.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    They may....they don't have cutting power to aid in removing scratches.
    Thanks for info. I'll give her a try and see how it turns out.