Metaniums mgl vs Chronarch mgl

How far superior is the met over the Chronarch ?

2. Member
    I've got both and honestly I love the Met but the Chronarch MGL is one sweet reel as well. Sometimes I dare say for the money I like the Chronarch better it is buttery smooth and casts great but again so does the Met. A new Curado K will probably be my next purchase but after that I'll probably be after another Chronarch MGL unless the K just blows me away. But then again I've got way more reels than rods so I need to be buying rods instead but I cant stop buying reels, its an addiction

3. Member
    I own both. They are both fantastic reels. The Met might be a little better when fishing bottom contact baits. It seems to transfer bites a little better. The Chronarch may have more of a hollow feel to it. Having said that, my impression has been that both are very smooth and cast great. Met has an 84 mm handle unless getting the XG. Chronarch has a 90 mm handle unless getting the XG which I believe is 96 mm for both. Although the Met is a phenomenal reel, in my hands I can't say the Met is 140.00 better than the Chronarch at msrp.

About $60 difference on Digitaka. $300 for the met mgl , $240 for the chronarch mgl.

5. Member
    I guess the point I was trying to get across is I do not believe the Metanium blows the Chronarch away regardless of pricing.

Reason I ask is a guy local is wanting to trade his three metanium mgl for my 2 Chronarch mgl, 1 curado 70, and 1 scorpion 70

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    About $60 difference on Digitaka. $300 for the met mgl , $240 for the chronarch mgl.
    That's where I got my Mets, got my Chronarch MGL on eBay when they had a $50 off code plus the seller had a good price. I think it wound up being around $200.

8. Member
    I wouldn't it say it's necessarily superior. I have multiple of each and I like them both, but the Chronarch gets the edge from me. The Chronarch will cast a country mile and it's retrieve is buttery smooth. Don't get me wrong, I like the Metanium's. I just wish they had a bigger spool and casted further, like the Chronarch.

9. Member
    I put the bearing on the worm gear right out of the box on both, I know it's been discussed on wheather or not that makes a difference but playing with them before and after I could notice that they were smoother. Maybe it's in my head I don't know but I know for sure it made my Curado 70 smoother.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterj01 View Post
    Reason I ask is a guy local is wanting to trade his three metanium mgl for my 2 Chronarch mgl, 1 curado 70, and 1 scorpion 70
    I'd trade those in heartbeat and not think twice about it. I have 2 chronarch mgl and 5 met mgl. If you decide to sell someday, the Metaniums will hold their value difference. I use both chronarchs for deep cranking and the mets for jig, texas and Carolina rigs along with a couple of all purpose rods.

Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Scott View Post
    I own both. They are both fantastic reels. The Met might be a little better when fishing bottom contact baits. It seems to transfer bites a little better. The Chronarch may have more of a hollow feel to it. Having said that, my impression has been that both are very smooth and cast great. Met has an 84 mm handle unless getting the XG. Chronarch has a 90 mm handle unless getting the XG which I believe is 96 mm for both. Although the Met is a phenomenal reel, in my hands I can't say the Met is 140.00 better than the Chronarch at msrp.
    agree

I own 13Met, Met MGL and old Chronarch CI4. I have proven to myself I feel a bit more bite via the Met. I tend to always go with these for bottom bouncing. If I am moving bait fishing I'm sure I'd pick up a Chronarch MGL
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterj01 View Post
    That's a pretty good deal if the Mets are I good shape. Chronarch MGL is a nice reel, but it's certainly not a Metanium. Worth the extra money? Really depends IMHO on how much one fishes, and the apps. You fish alot IMHO it is absolutely worth the diff. If not, than perhaps not. Jerkbaits, jigs, senkos, carolina rigs, small squarebills, small topwaters..Met rules.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

13. Member
    Does anyone know which of these two will cast lighter lures better? Im talking 5g or so.