Looking to buy a boat with a 250 verado

Hey guys I'm looking to buy a used 16 boat with a 250 verado how do them compair to a 250 pro xs as far as performance, hole shot, top speed and reliability ?
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

2. Member
    Absolutely love my 2013 Ranger with a 250 verado Pro on the back. 67 MPH with a beat up 4 blade Bravo prop and not really set up. Its so quiet, friends often remind me my motors running while were at the docks. There have been a few people who dont own a verado and for whatever reason, seem to talk poorly of them. In all honesty, I have never talked to a Verado owner, walleye or bass boat, that doesnt love them. Simply filling up for gas and not worrying about oil is reason enough. Lol. I believe Mercury will hold out a while before releasing a newer lighter 4 stroke, 2 stroke motors are money makers.
    As far as speed, Hole shot on my motor could be a little quicker but comparing it to a few other friends boats, its pretty much right on par with what they have. Probably not much help, just my 2 cents.

totally different but awesome
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

If the boat runs good on the water and it's weight isn't a hinderance, I would jump on it if the price is good.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Its hard to explain the difference in "feel" with the verado, my brothers boat seems quicker all around than mine while riding or driving it, but when out on the water, side by side, we are nearly identical coming out of the hole, and on top end. He runs a 2.4 200 merc on a light 20 foot checkmate, and i have a 200 verado on a considerably heavier 20'er.

6. Member
    I've got a 2016 Nitro Z20 with a 250 Vrod. Love the motor except the fuel mileage. My last boat had a 250 XS and it was much more fuel efficient in my opinion. Vrod has much better hole shot and it pulls pretty hard from there. Top end I feel is just as good as XS. Super quite and smooth. It's only 60 # more weight than XS so no big deal. If you keep your foot out of the throttle, the mileage isn't bad, but WOT it likes its fuel. Get that supercharge wound up and it takes allot of fuel to go with all that air. Never been sorry I got the Verado though. The hole shot, pull and smoothness makes up for the extra fuel. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rlkingsbury View Post
    I've got a 2016 Nitro Z20 with a 250 Vrod. Love the motor except the fuel mileage. My last boat had a 250 XS and it was much more fuel efficient in my opinion. Vrod has much better hole shot and it pulls pretty hard from there. Top end I feel is just as good as XS. Super quite and smooth. It's only 60 # more weight than XS so no big deal. If you keep your foot out of the throttle, the mileage isn't bad, but WOT it likes its fuel. Get that supercharge wound up and it takes allot of fuel to go with all that air. Never been sorry I got the Verado though. The hole shot, pull and smoothness makes up for the extra fuel. Just my opinion.
    That is the nature of a boosted engine when you get your foot in it. I usually caution against including the cost of 2stroke oil in price comparisons but while the Vrod might burn more gasoline I'm curious about how that oil impacts the $ per mile calculation.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    That is the nature of a boosted engine when you get your foot in it. I usually caution against including the cost of 2stroke oil in price comparisons but while the Vrod might burn more gasoline I'm curious about how that oil impacts the $ per mile calculation.

I had a 250 pro xs and now a 350 verado. I really don't notice much difference in the cost to operate. DFI oil at 30/gallon or more certainly eats into the better gas mileage. It is probably so close in a total cost analysis that is is a small part of the total cost of a rig.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    I had a 250 pro xs and now a 350 verado. I really don't notice much difference in the cost to operate. DFI oil at 30/gallon or more certainly eats into the better gas mileage. It is probably so close in a total cost analysis that is is a small part of the total cost of a rig.
    That's always been my assumption as well.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Banned
    V-rod hands down a better and more reliable motor!

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    And thats a 250 vs a 350

12. Member
    What elevation do you mainly run at?
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

13. Member
    Love my Verado 200. Fast, quiet, quick! Awesome!
    Last edited by Derwood-Guy; 09-03-2017 at 07:32 AM.

14. Banned
    i have 60 hours on mine Very nice motor Quiet and powerfull

15. Member
    The biggest problem I have found with my verado is that there are so few of them I'm bass boats it is hard to find someone that knows how to set them up well as far as propping, prop to pad, etc
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

The difference between my XS and Verado is 3-4 gph at WOT, which is also a difference of 70mph vs 75. So I figure once you are running WOT, why even complain about 3 GPH? Every 60 miles its costs you 7-8$? If you are worried about that, you better not own a bass boat.

I can run around 9 GPH at 45-50mph about any day of the week and thats with a beat up Bravo.

Im sure the oil savings alone would offset any fuel usage difference, if not still gain in the end. Whats the standard oil usage? Is it 50-1 or 100-1?

50-1 at wot and full rpm. As lean as 400-1 at idle. So 24.x gph in the optimax @wot = 1 gallon of dfi oil every 2 hours. =35-45$ in oil every two hours.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089