Thoughts on the Roll on Flooring vs Carpet

Hey friends, I'm looking to clean up my X-19 before it goes on the market. All carpet quotes are massive and I'm considering replacing with a roll on flooring and was curious if you think it'll deter a buyer. Personally I think it looks slick, but I am a fan of coastal boats and I think it gives it that look.

Let me know what you think Xpress collective, I trust your judgement.

2. Banned
    Have you stripped the carpet yet? Your going to have pretty big gaps around the hatches and some other unsightly things to deal with. I would think that the prep work /glue removal would have to be more thorough for the roll down verse just recarpeting.
    Carpet hides alot of sins
    Last edited by pa.X19; 08-24-2017 at 06:47 AM.

3. Member
    I prefer carpet because I think it looks better and feels better underfoot. That's just what I like though and others will prefer the roll on. You might consider just selling "as is" so the new owner can decide what they like and make the upgrade. Good luck with your decision.

4. Member
    From someone who has done it.

If you think re-carpet quotes are massive, don't even consider getting someone to quote going from carpet to liner.

Unless you are not afraid of a WHOLE LOTTA WORK, I would just take it on the chin and pay for the re-carpet job. It can be done, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE my spray in liner, but it took a lot more work than I was willing to put into it to get it how I wanted it.

Carpet removal isn't just, peel carpet off scrape glue..... You have to take off every compartment lid, seats, console, any bolt-ons you have etc. Once you get the carpet out, you are tasked with removing the residue. I was going with a spray-in liner so I was not concerned with having a smooth surface to work on. A lot of people use chemicals and I'm sure they work, but an angle grinder and n end grinder with a wire wheel did the job just fine.

From there you can do what you want, roll-on, spray-on whatever you like.

Few things to consider. If you trailer it somewhere to get it sprayed, make SURE to tape down or put all compartment lids in the truck or in a compartment (ask me how I know ) 2nd, is the gaps. That boat was laid out for carpet, o all of your lids and console, they compensate about 1/4" for the carpet. Your lids will rattle and you will be less waterproof then you were before. (sore subject on these boards). 3rd is if you have 30 rods on the deck at once like me, (but only throw 2-3 through out the day) you have to consider reel rash. 4th is, depending on what liner you use, does it get hot where you fish... down in south louisiana, lets just say its hot. my liner has some UV protectant properties in it but it is hotter than the carpet.

ALL of those issues can be addressed and fixed, just requires more work.

I have rubber on all lids to prevent rattling, I have pads for reel rash, i adjusted all my compartment locks, i added structural braces between the console and the side walls... you will see ll the potential issues when you get down into it.

*Cliff Notes* If you have help and resources to do it, DO IT! If you are going to pay someone to do it, and are worried about cost, just re-carpet.

5. Member
    Funny thing is I only want to recarpet to sell. We knew when I bought it that it'd start peeling on the front deck eventually. None of us care that use it, but you know how people are.

Frankly I'd rather keep the price low and sell as is.

6. Member
    SeaDek......I absolutely love mine and won't ever have anything but it or hydroturf
    2016 Xpress X19 with Yamaha 200 SHO

I'd try and sell it how it is.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    I'd try and sell it how it is.
    Yep 100% or recarpet and hope that you can make it up on the sale, if the boat is in decent condition you will probably be on the + end of the final sale.

9. Member
    What model boat, motor, accessories, etc do you have to sell? And what is your asking price? The answer to these questions will help determine if new carpet is warranted or if an "as is" sale is the best way to go.

10. Member
    I'd sell 'as is' and let price reflect that it needs carpet. As mentioned above, it's expensive and labor intensive for a boat you don't plan on enjoying anymore.

I'm currently debating on selling mine too ....... I've almost decided I'm keeping my electronics ...... thus I just plan on pricing it to reflect that. I know I won't get as good of a price for it, but the pro's/con's of cost just equate out to where I'd rather do it that way .......... if that makes sense. It's either that or I'll buy a used pair of Gen 1 HDS 5's just to slap on it, but that seems like a waste to me as well.

I keep putting a price on time, effort, and actual cost ..... and it always seems to me I'm just as good off to just 'price as is' and be done with it.

Good Luck!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci