Help me figure this out - what kind of rig do I need?

Four years out from retirement, but for now I'm trying to figure out how to do some weekend getaways to fish area lakes. I prefer small lakes and have a TwinTroller X10 ten foot boat hauled in a 5x10 utility trailer. The rig I want is not in the financial picture for now. That would be a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with a popup truck camper. For the meantime I'm trying to configure what I have to work with. I have a 2002 Silverado 1500. It's worthless in terms of payload, so no option to put even a shell popup on it. I could put a capper on it though. I would like to pull the small boat and avoid hotels for the overnight. State park cabins get pricey. I have a custom truck tent with mattress I can put in the truck to sleep, but that's pretty minimal, no restroom, etc. Ain't too excited about using public facilities at the park. Don't like the idea of hotels in general, bit of a germaphob and worry about did they really wash the sheets, etc.

The truck tent is about all I can come up with. I guess I could pitch a tent, but not sure I want to go through all that setup and take down for a quick overnight. ? Truck has plenty towing capacity so I could affort a small travel trailer, but then can't pull a boat. Any ideas

2. Member
    There's going to be a bunch of people that will come along and say DON'T DO IT but.....with as small as that little boat is and I'm sure it don't weigh much, you could attach a receiver hitch to the back of a travel trailer and take off. Don't get the type that attaches to the rear bumper of the trailer get one that is designed to bolt to the frame of the trailer and/or have it welded on buy a pro. Just remember any weight you add to the rear bumper you need to offset by adding that much to the front of the trailer. Trailer sway is cause by in adequate tongue weight and typically you don't want to place a load on the rear of a travel trailer but that is not much of a load. It's just one option but if you want to have your cake and eat it too that is about the only option you have unless you want to tow a trailer to campground and make a return trip home to pick up the boat. That is what I typically do. When we camp we usually stay not too far from home if fishing is one of the primary objectives. I will pull the camper up to camp the evening before we are supposed to start our trip then return home. The next day I'll take the boat up and the wife will either follow in her car or ride with me. It's a little inconvenience but not a deal breaker. I've been thinking about getting a kayak for those longer trips, just haven't committed to that yet.

3. Member
    Thanks for the tip. I have gone another direction. My main activity is fishing and really not "camping". For some reason I never really gave consideration to the camper shell. Got to thinking about how that did make sense. Secure, plenty of room to sleep in my bed. Already have an air mattress that is made for my truck bed. So after a few hours of research I bought a camper shell for $1,500 from a local dealer. It will be here in about two weeks and then I'm set. Will need a few camping items, but this combo should be about as easy as it gets. If I need my pickup to haul anything the shell would prevent, I have a utility trailer.

4. Member
    I'd rig a small ac in an extra tailgate or make a plywood tailgate with the ac that sits on the open one. Parks have 110v for nothing. Maybe a portable potty, if you hate public restrooms.

5. Member
    Truck tent is my plan until I get a topper.