Thread: Battey charging

Battey charging

Does anyone ever put your starter battery on charge or do y'all just let the boat recharge them.. Just wondering, I have livewell and 2 fishfinder running.. About every 3 or 4th fishing run I put starter on a charge.. Didn't know if anyone else did..
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

2. Banned
    I always charge them.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you don't charge them every time you are throwing away money.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

As soon as the boat is parked in the Garage the charger is plugged in. I spend most of my day on the trolling motor and there is no way the motor will charge up a battery in my 10 or 15 min run time..
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

No question, cranking battery charged after every use with onboard charger. This is a must, given how sensitive today's electronics are to proper input voltage, and the load we put on the cranking battery (often two, three, or even four separate MFDs, plus radios, livewell pumps, etc.).

To this point, it surprises me that some boat dealerships still rig customers' boats with onboard chargers a bank short and not charging the cranking battery, believing that the engine will always keep the cranking battery adequately charged. Whether you have two, three, or four total batteries on your boat, for ease of charging you should have an onboard charger with charging banks equal to the total number of batteries you have.
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    Great to know guys... I use to charge it everytime, then figured out my rectifier was bad, so changed it and now just do it every 3 or 4 times..now I know.. Gonna start doing it everytime...
    I Believe in Catch & Release...
    Only when I don't have Witnesses..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    No question, cranking battery charged after every use with onboard charger. This is a must, given how sensitive today's electronics are to proper input voltage, and the load we put on the cranking battery (often two, three, or even four separate MFDs, plus radios, livewell pumps, etc.).

To this point, it surprises me that some boat dealerships still rig customers' boats with onboard chargers a bank short and not charging the cranking battery, believing that the engine will always keep the cranking battery adequately charged. Whether you have two, three, or four total batteries on your boat, for ease of charging you should have an onboard charger with charging banks equal to the total number of batteries you have.
    X2

My batteries are 4 yrs old never been on charger but normally don't run livewells only 2 lowrances

9. Member
    depends how much running you do with the big motor, but its a good idea to charge them. Ive had my graphs and accessories run mine down enough I couldn't get my motor started after a couple days of back to back fishing. Charging it up good also makes your battery last longer.

10. Member
    I agree with everyone above who charges batteries after every use. I also make sure the first thing I do is plug in the charger when the boat is in the garage.
    When I plan being at a resort for a few days taking an extension cord along is a must.