Thread: Fall Transition

Fall Transition

What are some tips/techniques to use for the transition from Summer to Fall for bass. I haven't fished this part of the year much. I fish Kentucky Lake the majority of the time so some more specific ideas for this lake would be great. The water temps are in the mid 80s currently. What are the ideal water temps this time of the year. Thanks in advance for the help.

mid 80's are still summer temps....to me the fall transition doesnt start till the water hits low 70's. Thats why fall is so hard...they can be anywhere...deep or shallow.
    At least we had 1987....

I would agree, fall transition is once the water gets into the lower 70s and into the sixties. They get more active and school up to chase shad or other schooling bait, usually in open water. You have to cover a lot of water and my favorite bait for that is lipless crankbaits. It is usually not an early morning bite. The bait stays deep overnight and rises with the plankton as the midmorning sun penetrates the water. Good electronics helps to alert you to areas with concentrations of bait balls and the depth they are holding. Concentrate on mid lake features like points and humps and even shallow plateaus with deeper water nearby. Always check the mouth of inlets off the main lake for bait concentrations also.

4. Member
    my favorite time of the year,but for me its usually the toughest.i always try to cover a lot of water and try to find where the baitfish are.i always use larger baits this time of the year.good luck and good fishing
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

5. Member
    I thought the fall transition going from chasing green tails to white tails

6. Member
    My flavor time of the year also . Every thing around you is changing . The air the fish ,the animals and the woods and lake .

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb357 View Post
    I thought the fall transition going from chasing green tails to white tails
    That's why I like it....less boats on the water!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    That's why I like it....less boats on the water!!!
    Yep.

9. Banned
    What might be in the mid 80's today, but a couple cool nights will drop it a few degrees and send those fish moving. This time of year I like to focus on secondary points that have steeper, rocky banks leading back in to pockets. Hit the points and run the banks. Make long casts, more likely to find wolf packs running, but you don't want them seeing you.

Not really specific to KY lake, just how I fish pre-fall. I'll run a bank multiple times with top water, wake, shallow crank and something on the bottom.