Thread: slider hitches

slider hitches

Well my folks purchased a 5th wheel travel trailer a few weeks ago and i have been the one to pull it since i am the only one with a truck that has the standard rails in my truck for the hitch. My wife and i have been using the camper enough that we have decided to start looking for a camper of our own but after pulling this one of my parents i have come to the conclusion that i may need to invest in a slider hitch. My biggest delimia is do i go with a manual slider or auto slider? I like the pullrite super glides but i dont like that you have to use a certain capture plate with the hitch and i have heard that they can be a pita to hook and unhook from on uneven ground. The tow vehicle is a 2005 f250 4 door 4x4 shortbed diesel truck.

2. Banned
    I have a F250 short bed been pulling a 5th wheel for over 13 years never seen the need for a slider hitch.You just have to be careful but if it makes you feel more comfortable go with a slider.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    On my F250 shortbed, I use an Andersen Ultimate Hitch. Provides the offset I need, and I can literally carry it in one hand when I take it out of the truck. I strongly recommend it. You'll find plenty of critics of it online, but you'll find very few of them actually own one. I can turn a full 90 degrees or more with my Grand Design Reflection.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Also alot of the new fifth wheels have accounted for short beds with cap designs allowing a sharper turning radius

5. Banned
    I have a B&W 16k Patriot hitch that is very adjustable and of high quality. We tow very seldom and our trailer's nose is supposedly good for 88 degrees. I would probably go the Pullright if we were fulltimers. My hitch breaks in half and is easily lifted.

6. Member
    I had a2017 ford f250 short bed with a demco auto slide hitch, worked just fine.

7. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I'd go with the lightest option which is a sliding, manual rail. Some of the newer units have a front cap plus pin placement that helps alleviate the need for a slider on some trucks.

8. Member
    I have a demco 18k autoslider for sale. Used 5 times mint condition. $700
    Brett Treece. Caledonia MS
    2010 Skeeter ZX225. HPDI 225

9. Member
    I have been looking at the demco's and i like them better then the pull rite. No extra stuff i need to be able to hook up to them. I have found a new one on etrailer for 1084 and will eventually purchase and auto slide. Has any one had any issues with the demco?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeredude64 View Post
    I have been looking at the demco's and i like them better then the pull rite. No extra stuff i need to be able to hook up to them. I have found a new one on etrailer for 1084 and will eventually purchase and auto slide. Has any one had any issues with the demco?
    Personally....

I hate my demco autoslide 13k. I had it installed in March of this year and it broke halfway through summer. They had a bad run of serial numbers and replaced no questions asked. There customer service department is awesome. They rushed a new hitch to the city where I was camping and had it installed while on vacation.

Now onto why I hate it. The transition when you turn either right or left is rough on the truck IMO. It shakes the entire truck and feels like the fifth wheel is going to fall off. Demco tells me it is normal. All the research I can find online doesn't talk about this. I spent a lot of money on this hitch and really want it to work, but damn it is bad.

There are some adjustments on this hitch that are supposed to be set at the factory. I am working with the Customer Service dept again to see if I can change the adjustments at all.

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just get an Andersen and forget the slide and the weight. Carry it in one hand and turn 90 with my short bed
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Just get an Andersen and forget the slide and the weight. Carry it in one hand and turn 90 with my short bed
    I don’t think the Anderson will work with my universal rails will it?

Side note question...

Can you double tow with the Andersen? Technically isn't that Ball to Ball then? Being that it no longer locks into a traditional Jaw?

Not trying to start anything just a question for those that have them or have researched them.

Emailed andersen
    Last edited by Lu Bedevia; 10-10-2017 at 06:45 AM. Reason: update

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeredude64 View Post
    I don’t think the Anderson will work with my universal rails will it?
    They make a rail mount version as well.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Bedevia View Post
    Side note question...

Can you double tow with the Andersen? Technically isn't that Ball to Ball then? Being that it no longer locks into a traditional Jaw?

Not trying to start anything just a question for those that have them or have researched them.

Emailed andersen
    It's kind of a gray area legally whether it's a 5th wheel or gooseneck. I really doubt whether a LEO will have any issue with it. I went with safety chains on mine even though they may not be legally required just for CYA purposes. A locked Andersen ball is no more likely to let go than a locked 5th wheel. The locking mechanism is more secure than a normal ball mount since the pin slides through under the ball.
    nothing else matters.​

Just got this email back:

As far as I know you cannot double tow with the Andersen hitch.

- thank you for contacting Andersen Hitches.

Please feel free to contact us again if you have further questions.

Spencer Anderson – Customer Service
    customerservice@anderseninc.com
    Off: 208-523-6460 l Fax:208-523-6562

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

17. Member
    That would be a downer for me since i plan to double tow with this one if i am in my legal length.