Painting eyes on jigs

So now that I'm getting older and can't see as well as I once could and a little shaking in my hands it has become difficult to paint eyes on the jigs that I make. I've tried the stick on eyes but they usually come off. What are some of the tools and tips you people use to get eyes on lures? Thanks for the help.

2. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    I use the stick ones but topcoat with epoxy to get them to stay.
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

3. Member
    I use stick on eyes but like Walking Dead mentioned, I use an epoxy top coat to seal them. If you rather paint them on you can buy a tool called a lure eye dotter, it is basically a ball shaped sponge on a wood skewer , simply stick in the paint and dot the eye, it should be good enough even with shaky hands. I think there are different sizes so one could do the full eye and a smaller one can do the pupil.

4. Banned
    I've never seen a reason to put eyes on jigs, heads for grubs or swimbaits get eyes but not jigs.

5. Member
    Thanks for the help, i'll check out the eye dotter. Ya I only paint eyes on what you mentioned and swim jigs, thanks guys.

6. Member
    aspirin head jigs help stick on eyes stay put. Stick 'em and dip in a clearcoat.

7. Member
    Before you buy a eye dotter try a pencil eraser I sand them to the size I want works great for me.
    Wayne

8. Member
    I use a nail ( for small eyes) or a bolt or rod with the head removed for larger eyes . Dip in paint ( I shake the paint in the can) and dip into the can top (leaves a shallow amount) and apply to what ever you're trying to "eye"...BF

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFLAT View Post
    I use a nail ( for small eyes) or a bolt or rod with the head removed for larger eyes . Dip in paint ( I shake the paint in the can) and dip into the can top (leaves a shallow amount) and apply to what ever you're trying to "eye"...BF
    me too.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Great tips guys thank you very much. You guys rule.

11. Member
    Use a Q-tip, the cotton end will make larger eyes depending on how hard you press and if you need smaller dots, cut the cotton head off with a razor knife and use the hollow plastic shaft. Perfect eyes every time
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI