Minn Kota Maxxum 74 wiring

I need to replace the shaft tube and bearings on my Maxxum 74. I heated the shaft connection and unscrewed the tube. When I slid the tube up and off, the 3 wires (red, black, and another black) were exposed. One of the black wires was unplugged from the motor housing. The red wire and the other black wire (has a 3 pin connection for the control box hook up) were hooked up into the motor. Did the 2nd black wire come unplugged accidentally or is it not supposed to be connected? I don't know the serial number because it's not under the foot control where I read it should be. Any ideas about this wire? It's a variable speed if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by dbris1; 08-22-2017 at 01:38 PM.

2. Member
    The serial number to the 74's were under the head of the trollingmotor, but if the head has been replaced, the serial number is probably gone. Years ago the 74's had 2 blacks and 2 reds coming from the brush holder. Now the trolling motors only have one black and one red. I would remove the black not connected, make sure you have a good connection on the red and black that is left and go with it.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Thanks Mr Jones. The upper and lower covers have been replaced so I don't have the serial number. The pinion and race were attached to the tube with 2 short #8 screws. From looking at parts diagrams, it looks like the newer motors attach this with 4 screws so I assume my motor is an older model. Without a serial number, is there a way to determine which shaft and bearing kit I would need? What is an approximate cost for a new tube and bearings?
    Last edited by dbris1; 08-22-2017 at 04:33 PM.

4. Member
    I would update to the new "4-hole" shaft, pinion collar, and pinion. The bearings will be the same style "bicycle" bearings. We have this in stock. Pricing will be around $40.00 +/- plus the shipping. BTW, I'm assuming a 42" shaft.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Yes sir, it's a 42" shaft. I'm chasing down a lead on a recent pull off of a fairly new Maxxum that was replaced by a Fortrex. If that falls through, I'll call you and order the new shaft, bearings, pinion collar, etc. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.