Need help deciding

Ok guys here's the deal. I have wanted a BassCat for years. I have it narrowed down to two models. The Cougar FTD and the Caracal. Really like them both, especially the deck layout of the Caracal. My deciding factor will be the ride. I mainly fish Tenn River lakes as well as St.Clair. I am needing to know which hull will provide the softest ride. I have lower back issues, so the ride will become the determining factor. I am currently in a Skeater 20 I class and it has a pretty good rough water ride. Thanks for your time and appreciate any input.

In this case we would suggest the Cougar FTD due to the lower hull surface length. the Caracal has some benefits in rough water tacking and working between waves, though lower back and exact concerns lead us the other direction. Nothing wrong with a Caracal if you desire that floor plan. The difference is marginal, not huge.

3. Member
    I would also consider the Lynx as the ride should be very good and comparable to the I class. I had a 21I and it was a good riding, big heavy boat with a wide deck. In my case the Lynx or even the Caracal will resemble more closely to what you had in deck space and ride. Any BassCat will be much more nimble than the I class.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I currently have a Caracal. I've had two CougarFTDs. I agree with BCB. The difference is marginal for someone with back issues. I'd give the CougarFTD the slight edge. In reality, when it's rough, all bass boats will be tough on someone with back issues. Some will be better than others. Even a Jag will be hard on your back in rough waters.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

5. Member
    With the Cougar being 8" longer, it will be able to span waves a bit better. The Caracal I have has one of the softest re-entries into the water of any boat I have been in and I alternate trips with a buddy who has a 2016 Cougar.

6. Member
    I bet either way you can't go wrong. But most likely if you like the layout of the caracal better and you end up with the cougar I bet you'll end up wising you had the caracal layout. Get in both and take a ride in both. That will most likely be your deciding point

7. Member
    Thanks so much for the input. This is going to be a tough decision. It will be a win,win decision either way. One more quick question. I carry a ton of tackle and rods. My fishing partner weighs around 400+pounds. I will be ordering the boat with a Yamaha SHO engine, would ya'll suggest a hydraulic jackplate and possibly a 4 blade prop? Or do ya'll think a 3 blade will carry the load? thanks guys!

That lends us to the four blade and that is a big part if any decision with the information you just shared. You want to be sure you make a decision around anything important to you and that obviously is important to you. That makes a decision hard and one no one can input on without your experience on many aspects.