First trip with the Ultrex

Got it out on Sunday and I love it. LOVE IT! It was pretty calm not a really heavy test but I do love setting spot lock while I cover a point or off shore area. In the light wind, it did seem to hunt a pit before the boat weather vaned into position but then it was fine. The jog feature is nice but 5' seems to barely move you at all. I was usually moving it something more like 15-20' increments. But I just hit the button 4 times and off we go. I also love the mount. So easy to stow and deploy and no rattling around like mot Motorguide did. Also, much more quiet when running. I have Lowrance and therefor don't have Link but I don't know that I'd use it anyway. I have range rings turned on with my HDS and I ease up to the distance I want to be from a WP, hit the spot lock and fire away. Really useful this time of year when I like to slowly work an area. I was able to pull a couple of nice ones off some structure while the Ultrex held me in place.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    ultrex is a game changer, thank you for your purchase.

3. Member
    I love mine as well. Not sure the love is worth the $2200 but I'm trying to convince myself it is. About the only thing I have trouble with and I mean a little trouble is when I'm drop shotting a brush pile. First issue is since the prop is always moving I'm afraid to let the line drop right under the transducer because it might get caught in the prop. So at times I can't see where my line is which is important when the fish are suspended. Second is since I'm right on top of the brush the image on the depth finder gets distorted because the boat doesn't move. I might be able to solve the second issue with some different setting on my depth finder. Either way those are small things I can live with. I've also found I never use the remote control. It's easier to me to just turn off the spot lock and then move and then press the spot lock again. The remote just gets in my way.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    ultrex is a game changer, thank you for your purchase.
    You're welcome and thanks for the fast, friendly service.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I love mine as well. Not sure the love is worth the $2200 but I'm trying to convince myself it is. About the only thing I have trouble with and I mean a little trouble is when I'm drop shotting a brush pile. First issue is since the prop is always moving I'm afraid to let the line drop right under the transducer because it might get caught in the prop. So at times I can't see where my line is which is important when the fish are suspended. Second is since I'm right on top of the brush the image on the depth finder gets distorted because the boat doesn't move. I might be able to solve the second issue with some different setting on my depth finder. Either way those are small things I can live with. I've also found I never use the remote control. It's easier to me to just turn off the spot lock and then move and then press the spot lock again. The remote just gets in my way.
    it's my personal believe that unless fishing is your primary source of income don't waster you time trying to justify the expenditures. Spend what you can afford and what makes it more enjoyable for you and go fish. That's my attitude with all luxury/leisure purchases.

I used the remote to so I could use the jog function but that was about it. As few times, due to wind, I was fishing from the back of the boat so that was super handy. We did try driving the boat with the remote and that was a bit challenging to say the least. Not sure I'd want to do that on a regular basis.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    it's my personal believe that unless fishing is your primary source of income don't waster you time trying to justify the expenditures. Spend what you can afford and what makes it more enjoyable for you and go fish. That's my attitude with all luxury/leisure purchases.

I used the remote to so I could use the jog function but that was about it. As few times, due to wind, I was fishing from the back of the boat so that was super handy. We did try driving the boat with the remote and that was a bit challenging to say the least. Not sure I'd want to do that on a regular basis.
    Bruce, I see that you have a 186. I have a Skeeter ZX190 and I had the hunting around problems when it was calm. I changed the offset to -2 on the remote and it seems to be a whole lot better. Worth a shot to see it helps you. Even if not, its still a great motor. Tight lines..

I was planning to mess with that but it really was not an issue once it got settled.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Very nice! Love my ultrex!

9. Banned
    If you guys use the N button on the remote or cruise control you can drive your boat easily. It will maintain a heading. I use it to drive myself back to the launch while I put my gear away.. I never just drive with the remote, I always us the N or auto pilot, once you turn that on you can tap the buttons to change direction a little or use the foot pedal. Its how I fish all day.