2005 merc pro xs 225 oil leak and low rpm???

Have a 2005 merc pro xs 225, occasionally when i go to take off it wont go above 2000 rpms and acts like its under a load, if you stay in the throttle it will finally increase rpms to full speed and run like normal, it only does this from time to time. Any ideas what i should check first.
    Also went outside to wash my boat and noticed a small bit of oil along the skeg on the lower unit, upon further inspection it is coming from the front of the lower unit where it meets the bottom of the motor. Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks for your time!

George

2. Member
    Pull the cowling and check oil tank and down inside could be the oil pump.

3. Member
    a few test need to be done to determine your cause for lost power dout its oil leak related,posibly coil spark test needs to be done when prob is occurring along with fuel psi test and yes leak is most likely oil pump but ive seen many crank seals also cause this make sure wich oil it is gearcase or engine/ much more info in 3.0L section on your engine ser num needed hope this helps ya JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................