BEST UNIT FOR CRAPPIE FISHING

Need info for crappie fishing setup transducer on trolling motor all the necessary info please best units for SI viewing of structure

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'm not a crappie expert by any means but I do know that they like to hang out in brushpiles and suspend a lot. If I was getting a crappie specific setup, I'd have an SI unit at the console with the SI xducer on the transom so I can look for the structure. Once I've found the structure and wanted to have a closer look I'd have a dedicated DI unit at the bow with the DI xducer on the trolling motor.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I do a lot of crappie fishing and recently got new electronics for my boat and am very happy with my decision. I agree with everything BoatBuggy said above. You specifically asked about the trolling motor transducer.... a dedicated DI unit would do a good job. Just be sure you call humminbird BEFORE you open the DI transducer and mounting hardware and tell them you want to swap for the "trolling motor version" of the DI transducer. It has extra shielding and can make a big difference.

In my case, I went with a Helix 12 Mega unit on my bow and a Helix 10 Mega on my console. These Mega units have a dedicated DI element in them as well as side imaging and 2d sonar. So you get the best of all 3 sonars in one transducer. I have been very impressed with the the side imaging from the bow unit when you turn the scroll speed down to 1 or 2 on the unit. It works well for making sure you are in the right area of a brush pile. I went with the Helix 12 because down the road I plan on adding the 360 transducer, and that screen size really shines with 360. That would be a huge help for keeping a brushpile or school of fish in "sight".

Below is pic from this weekend when I was looking for some crappie. It is from my console unit.... It's not the greatest picture in the world, I had sensitivity and contrast set high and was playing with a new color pallet when I passed over this, but I got a nice mess of crappie from this spot in a short amount of time doing some spider rigging.

Last edited by akaslyguy; 08-21-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    Definitely want a unit with dedicated down imaging crystal. I can go over stake beds and brush piles with my onix and see every crappie in them.

I think that is a great image ...Post a few more..

6. Member
    Thanks for the info keep it coming I am trying to help a friend get something for his boat primarily he will be fishing and searching for structure from the deck ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broke123 View Post
    Searching for structure from the deck
    Then get a Bow 360 and a dedicated DI unit.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax