Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phoenix 920 pro xp chine walks 68-70

Wondering what everyone's setup is. With Jackplate 16-17 on the gauge it chine walks from 68-70 pretty rough. I'm running a 26 fury and hitting 75. Is it normal for it to chine walk rough at those speeds?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    if your screen name means your last boat was a skeeter then yes chine walk is pretty normal, it will go away with seat time but most who come over to a Phoenix from a Skeeter will experience some chine.
    as far as setup prop to pad and RPMs will help others chime in with answers, I will leave that to the Merc guys
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Yep. I had a zx 225. I'm gonna take some measurements within the next day to help.

4. Member
    yep, agree with drew. been there done that, except I have a 920/Sho. we can help get you squared away with some more info. odds are that you need to make some tweeks with how you load the boat along with a PTP adjustment. I have 25 hours on mine and still learning. much more sensitive to weight than skeeter was. but that is OK, way better overall platform. Post more info....
    2019 Skeeter ZX250 / 250SHO
    Brian

5. Member
    Will do

6. Banned
    Mine was nasty at 65 my first two tries with it across the lake.

I found it didnt need near as much trim up as my old boat. I ended up with my 12" hyd jack plate at 17 my 3rd try the next day and the trim not far up, at 70 I could run with no hands on the wheel. It didnt feel like it was on the pad to me like my old boat but it must have been because 70 was easy to achieve, I ran out of lake.

The ride is so dry, I never felt a drop its deceiving. Enjoy.

7. Member
    Weight distribution and a good prop to pad play the biggest parts in chine walk. I know when I first got mine I had the motor low, as in 3.75-4" below and at 65 it would start to walk pretty good. Raised it up to 2.75 and I can get 73 before it starts now. Plus seat time will help.

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I know a dealer with a 721/merc, and he runs 16-17 on his Atlas, so that's about right.
    You'll get the hang of driving sooner than later

My Atlas must be set up different from you guys. 16-17 on my gauge is almost all the way up. I just recently bought a new 920 and after break in hours i let it fly for a minute and got it to 77 gps pretty easy (at 77 had to drive it). For me, it performed best with the Atlas on 9-10 on the gauge. I need to change to a 26 fury, with the 25 fury i have, it was right at or over 6k rpm's. I had a BCB Cougar before my last boat, so I have plenty seat time with a boat that tends to walk at speed.
    2017 Phoenix 920

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    all the Atlas gauges are not calibrated correctly at the factory it just a close guess for them. need to run it all the way down and up on the trailer and adjust the sender to be sure 0 is down and 20 is up. and for some reason not every engine gets mounted in the same holes.
    after verifying the gauge is correct I would set the gauge on about 10 or 12 then measure the P2P after that each number on the gauge will represent roughly a 1/4" to 5/16" movement either way
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

Also need to verify motor is mounted in same holes.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

12. Member
    Just wanted to give an update. Running the boat Thursday with a local guy who works props. He's doing it as a favor but bringing a couple extra props to try. He has all of the correct equipment and more know how on setup. I will write down speeds and performance at each Mark on the meter for my atlas. I will measure the PTP at each dial number for an easier reference since the dial seems to be off from boat to boat. Hopefully should help me out and give any guys with similar questions some feedback. I will update you guys with everything Thursday afternoon. Thanks for all of the input. Glad to be part of the phoenix family.

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Good Deal and welcome to the Phamily, but we are still waiting on some pictures before its official.
    info@drewcraft.com

Yep. Not official til we get some pics. Good luck and let us know how it works.
    Jason

15. Member
    They are in a folder on my profile. It's the only one labeled phoenix 920

16. Member
    Ran boat today by myself to get some seat time. I moved all of my plastics to the back of the boat and put life jackets up front. Only thing left in bow is hardbaits, net, and rods. Started off at 10 on jack plate setting. Ran and started trimming up. Boat chine walked awful in the 60s. Backed out of throttle and lowered trim. Raised jack plate to 13 and slowly trimmed up. After running it for about an hour I found what I believe to be the sweet spot. With jack plate at 18 I had 15 PSI and 74 mph at 5900 rpm. I think there may be a little more room for it to hit 75 or 76. It was pretty smooth. A little bit of walk around 70 but nothing I couldn't drive out. Didn't run 74 long. I hit rough water and backed out of it because it began to walk. I still get nervous when it walks at that speed. Water temp was 86 with a sunny sky and a light wind. About half foot of chop on the water. I appreciate all the feedback from you guys. With more seat time I am sure I wont even notice it. It will just become second nature when running it. I am going to take measurements with the prop guy tomorrow. I will update everyone again with PTP height, speed, and ride. Thanks again everyone. Tight lines!
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro xp / 2021 250 Mercury Pro XS

You'll get it man. Almost all of them will walk if you let it. You feel it in your butt and then make quick jerks to the left to balance it on pad before it even starts to walk. Keep at it. You'll get it.
    Jason

18. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    So, I wonder just how bad things can go if someone does not back off and let's chine have it's way.
    Does it get so bad it can throw you out of boat, or maybe flip the boat?
    If chine does start to get out of control, it scares me and like most I slow down, or trim down.
    Always wondered, just too much of a wimp to try it and let it go, or maybe I'm just smart that way.

19. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I road with a guy test driving his first Phoenix, he wanted to see what it would do and he would not let up, lucky the grab handles held on but it was slamming me against him and then back almost over the side, it never tried to flip but took everything to hank on. one thing to not do is get scared and back off the hot foot suddenly, it will nose dive and try to spin around. always trim down first.
    info@drewcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    So, I wonder just how bad things can go if someone does not back off and let's chine have it's way.
    Does it get so bad it can throw you out of boat, or maybe flip the boat?
    If chine does start to get out of control, it scares me and like most I slow down, or trim down.
    Always wondered, just too much of a wimp to try it and let it go, or maybe I'm just smart that way.
    Your boat should never walk because you should correct it before it happens. If I let my boat walk I will get thrown out. Unless weight and setup is perfect they will all walk. And like drew said, you're in for a bad day if you chop the throttle when your wot and it starts to walk.
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast