Magnetic Switches for Compartment Lights

I've been toying around with the idea of installing LED light strips into my compartments for some time. Along with that, I've debated about setting them up to come on automatically when I open the compartment lid and to shut off when I close it to avoid having to physically flip a switch when I need light. I'm thinking I could use some "normally closed" magnetic switches to accomplish this pretty easily, save for routing wires. Anybody have experience or suggestions?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    My experience with those switches in my BassCat was not good. Just FYI.

I did also consider the "tilt" type switches but figured the moving pieces in them were more likely to work intermittently than something like a magnet. I'm not sure how the ones that are linked work, but I think most have a ball bearing in them that moves to actuate the switch one way or the other.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

These are the new switchs... Maybe you had the older style that BassCat replaced.?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    How many times are you opening your compartments in the dark? Not many I'd bet. That's a pretty pricey switch from BassCat. I have LED lights in all my compartments and they all come on with my accessory switch. Sometimes simple is better. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    How many times are you opening your compartments in the dark? Not many I'd bet. That's a pretty pricey switch from BassCat. I have LED lights in all my compartments and they all come on with my accessory switch. Sometimes simple is better. But that's me.
    Yeah, I guess I should've said I'm not going to be paying that. I can get 10 magnetic switches (or 10 "tilt" type switches) on Amazon for about a buck a piece, give or take. The real pain in all this, and why I'm even asking about it, would be mounting the switches, as I'd be running wires regardless. I'm mostly looking for people who've done it to say whether it worked for them or not, or maybe to suggest an alternative I've never even considered - I end up getting those types of suggestions from BBC really often. Maybe the thing I'm worried most about is having one of the switches malfunction and destroy a battery, though I know those LEDs pull very little current.

On that note, you do make a good point. It's pretty easy to flip that "interior light" (or "courtesy," can't remember what it says) switch for as often as I'll be needing the extra light, so just wiring into that would be easy enough. To be fair, I probably am opening compartments in the dark just about every time I'm out, or at least the morning before every tournament. Maybe I'm really wanting to do it for more of the "that's cool" effect more than anything.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

8. Member
    I bought tilt switches from Amazon. They work great! We do a lot of night fishing and they are extremely useful!

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the magnetic switches will work fine but keep an eye on the amperage of the lights. those switches are only milliamps and not designed to carry a load, I have installed many of them along with installing alarms systems in boats, I usually use the switches to trip a relay that powers all the compartment lights, in other words, when you open one lid the others come on too but it doesn't mater if the lid is closed you can see it anyway
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    oh but I use normally open switches but it would not matter with a relay
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. Member
    Whatever you do make sure they are water compatable and won't rust.

12. Member
    Yeah I like the magnetic switches too. My Nitro has them all over, and they save my rear when I 'forget' to hit the courtesy light switch (which in my instance lights up the bilge).

Shhhhh don't tell anyone that Nitro's have a good switch, (especially when there's rumors of the BCB ones not working so well).
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

I like my bullet compartment lights with a switch ON the light itself. No master compartment light courtesy switches to forget or mechanical switch to wear out

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Banned
    Get the little window/door alert chime things from Dollar Tree. Pop the back off and clip out the speaker. Use wires to short strips of LED lights. No wires to run. No more switches to buy. Double sided tape already on them.