Dove tail vs flat trailer decision

Looking at 16' utility trailers. Like the convenience of a dovetail with built in 3'gate. Any downside to dovetail? What would you guys prefer? Just a utility trailer for a mower or utv every now and then.

2. Member
    I usually prefer dovetail if I am loading something big, but for a small utility trailer under 18' a straight with a gate/ramps.

I purchased an 18' dual axle trailer with brakes. It's 16' with a 2' dove tail making it 18'. I couldn't be happier with that decision. The 2' dovetail makes loading and unloading much easier on the tractors, mowers, etc. plus gives me the extra room to load up Long boards, metal, etc without problems or minimum hangover if need be.

I don't think you will need a dovetail with a 16' and only hauling a mower or atv.
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

The downside is that it will hang lower in the back and drag more often. It also shortens your flat space by 2 ft. But, if all you're using the trailer for is to haul things will wheels then it's nice to have.

I would get a flat that tilts.

I like a dovetail design, as the ramp/gate is shorter than a flat trailer. It's amazing how much air an expanded metal tailgate catches while towing.

Also like that the break over point is not as severe with a dovetail. With my 60" zero turn, I don't think I could have loaded it on a flat trailer without high centering. 10' dovetail was just right.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

8. Member
    Like my dove tail. can back my tractor off without ramps if need be.Must be okay because everybody and their brother likes to borrow it!

9. Member
    I like a dovtail as well...both of the car trailers I've owned had one, and I think it makes things easier.

10. Member
    Love my 28 ft trailer with a 4 ft dove tail that you can flip up to a flat bed