Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Weber Smokey Mountain

Who has one, what size and how do you like it?? I have an electric smoker now but thinking of getting one but would like some opinions.

And no need to post about other brands, I'm only interested in the Weber.

2. Member
    18.5. Love it. Took about 3 tries to get the heat down. Now I start it and don't worry about it. I will own the larger size at some point.

3. Member
    22.5" here. I love it. A ton of room to cook on and very little maintenance. Holds temps very very well. I've done a bunch of overnight smokes with packer briskets and pork shoulders with no issues. Put them on at midnight, go to bed, wake up at 6 AM and they are just about in the stall. No change in temps on the smoker. That combined with a Maverick ET-733 and it's really difficult to screw something up.

If you want a bit of further research:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

https://tvwbb.com/

4. Member
    I agree with Jigg. I have the 18.5 and love it! I too am going to get the larger size eventually. Once I'm dialed in on temperature, I can leave it for hours without worry. Once the barrel gets "seasoned" it helps with temperature. It's definitely worth the money and probably one of the best low cost smokers you can buy.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Wow, those aren't cheap.

6. Banned
    18.5 ...easy to control...22.5 is a great idea....18.5 hands down...and I own 5 of them !

7. Member
    I have a 14 and an 18 and love them!! Very easy to set up and maintain as long as you have a good probe for the grill like a Maverick you will be good to go. I will have a 22 before too long. With that said I also have a 26" kettle (as well as a 22") and the 26" can turn out some good smoked meat. So can the 22 but there is SO much more room on the 26". If you are on the fence go with the 22 WSM otherwise you may find yourself wanting it if you go with the 18 because I do at times. Clean up is a little tedious but not bad, just make sure you clean the water bowl and scrub the grates once they cool down after a cook I tend to leave the middle grate out because I don't use it often and it's one less thing to clean. Like mentioned earlier The Virtual Weber Bullet is a great website to learn about how to use the smoker, mods you can do if you choose, and some great recipes; the sugarless rib rub is awesome and I use it on a lot of stuff.

8. Member
    Has anybody ever gotten a deal on any type of Weber? After labor day maybe?

9. Member
    Love my 18only problem is it's not set and forget but darn close. There rarely is deals most are floor models or you find the rare used one
    Nitro z21

10. Member
    22.5 cooks enough to feed 10 people easy. Once you learn it's sweet spot it's set it and go to sleep

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Has anybody ever gotten a deal on any type of Weber? After labor day maybe?
    I got my 14 at Wal-Mart for $99, normally $199, back in late April. There were two on clearance for that price back in the fall and I almost bought it then but didn't. Well one day I went in through the gardening section and figured I'd check just in case, low and behold she was tucked high on the top shelf back in the corner so I knew I had to get it because I didn't in the fall. It's perfect for a pork butt or chuck roast. It'll hold a round of coals for about 6 hours before you have to throw in a hand full to keep it going, my 18 has gone about 10 hours on one round of coal before having to add just a few.

12. Member
    I have a 18 and a 22 and highly recommend them. They go on sale at amazon occasionally.

13. Member
    I've had the 18.5 WSM for many years and love it. I would buy it again in a minute. I do see them used on craigslist every so often for cheap.

14. Member
    Have the 18.5 and works perfect for me because I take it camping. If it was a stay at home rig I would get the 22. Watch craigslist. I periodically see hardly used rids selling for half price or less.

15. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Thanks for all the input.

16. Member
    I know it's already been mentioned but once I decided I wanted a WSM I studied the operating tips on The Virtual Weber Bullet website, by the time I bought it I knew how to use it for the most part. It kept me from going at it blindly.

17. Member
    I have a WSM, Egg, and Weber gasser. out of the Three I love my WSM the most. The thing keeps great temps and there is little to no fumbling around with it.

18. Member
    I use 5 of the 22.5's at BBQ competitions and love them. Having a pit temp control system is really nice also like the Digi-Q. Set the temp you want, close up the vents and the blower does all the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I know it's already been mentioned but once I decided I wanted a WSM I studied the operating tips on The Virtual Weber Bullet website, by the time I bought it I knew how to use it for the most part. It kept me from going at it blindly.
    ^^^^This^^^^ Plus, there are easy, cheap modifications you can do to make it even mo-betta.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.