Compound bows question

This year I have decided to buy my first bow and wanted to get an experienced bow hunters advice. I'm a beginner bow hunter but have rifle hunted all my life. I have been researching compound bows and I like the black out intrigue the most for the money but have found a used bear bow with arrows and about $150 dollars worth of upgrades for $200.00 and not sure which route to take. Should I get the used bow or pay 200 more and get all new stuff?

I would not hesitate to buy a used bow. I know some people that buy brand new every year and trade last year model in. I've bought several used bows that were owned by the same guy who happens to have same draw as me. Always Matthews bows, which were $1000 new, I picked up for $500. If you know the owner of the bow and know how they cared for it, then buy and put saved $ towards the taxidermy bill.

3. Member
    How often does the bow need to be re-strung? And does anyone know the round about cost of having one done? Plan on having the bow for a long while

Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    How often does the bow need to be re-strung? And does anyone know the round about cost of having one done? Plan on having the bow for a long while
    Good used bows are pretty easy to find but if it need a to be restrung I would look for one of the new bows that is a complete package. Entry level bows will kill deer all day long and can be bought at reasonable prices. Despite what some will tell you, a $1000 bow that shoots 360 fps is not needed to kill a deer.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Good used bows are pretty easy to find but if it need a to be restrung I would look for one of the new bows that is a complete package. Entry level bows will kill deer all day long and can be bought at reasonable prices. Despite what some will tell you, a $1000 bow that shoots 360 fps is not needed to kill a deer.
    Yes and I don't have the budget for a 1000 dollar bow. But I found a used one with arrows and upgrades for 200 and a new one that I like that is RTH is on sale for 315. But if I go that route I would end up spending 450 after arrows and string release etc. That's why I'm asking how much would it cost to re string if needed

6. Member
    About $100 at most shops for strong and cables.
    I bought a used Mathews Z7 a couple years ago and would do it again.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

7. Member
    New bows lose value quicker than just about anything. The most important thing about a bow is fit. Brand, model etc really do not mean all that much. As long as it fits you........

Yes and I don't have the budget for a 1000 dollar bow. But I found a used one with arrows and upgrades for 200 and a new one that I like that is RTH is on sale for 315. But if I go that route I would end up spending 450 after arrows and string release etc. That's why I'm asking how much would it cost to re string if needed
    You could have to buy new arrows too even with the used bow if the ones that are with it are the incorrect length and spine for you. Figure 100 to 150 for a new string and set up on the used bow also. The upgrades would have to be really good for me to consider it because bear bow packages can be bought new for awesome prices.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    You could have to buy new arrows too even with the used bow if the ones that are with it are the incorrect length and spine for you. Figure 100 to 150 for a new string and set up on the used bow also. The upgrades would have to be really good for me to consider it because bear bow packages can be bought new for awesome prices.
    Never thought about it that way. I knew about an arrow length needing to be right but had no clue about the spine. Also kinda had an idea about fit but most bows are pretty much adjustable to anyone from short to tall except for a select few thought I've ran across online

Most factory strings are made from 452x which has little to no stretch and if properly, maintained will last literally thousands of shots. You can go over to Archery Talk and find many great sting makers that run specials. You can get a set of strings and cables for around 80 bucks. Most shops will charge around 25 bucks to change them out.

Never thought about it that way. I knew about an arrow length needing to be right but had no clue about the spine. Also kinda had an idea about fit but most bows are pretty much adjustable to anyone from short to tall except for a select few thought I've ran across online
    Also keep in mind the axle to axle length of the bow. If you are a tall guy and the bow is short you can have trouble keeping an arrow nocked due to string pinch. I'm 6'2 and I tried to shoot one of the short axle bows and couldn't keep the arrow nocked. I am all for buying used bows but just make sure it will work for you before you purchase and then sink some money into.

12. Member
    I have bought used bows on both eBay and Archery talk. Archers are worse then bass fisherman when it comes to the newest greatest gear. You can find all the year old bows accessories arrows and drastically discounted prices on the classifieds there
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

The z7extreme I'm shooting now was a prop bow used in photo shoots for realtree camo. Photographer had it at the taxidermists shop. I picked it up and was looking at it, taxidermist says, "that's for sale." me, "how much?" Tax, "$500" me, " all accessories included?" Tax, "yep, never shot." I walked out of the shop with another deer head and a brand new bow. Wife was so happy!

14. Member
    That's the same bow I shoot now blacked out Z7 extreme. I have wanted one since they first came out. The first time I shot one It was like the first time I got to second base with a girl. I couldn't stop thinking about it
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

15. Member
    Don't rule out the local pawn shops. I found a fully loaded bow with arrows and a hard case for only 125.00 dollars.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    Don't rule out the local pawn shops. I found a fully loaded bow with arrows and a hard case for only 125.00 dollars.
    Sadly the only local shop around me closed last month and I didn't even know. But bought a new blackout intrigue and the bow is awesome for the money. Paid 319.00 and got some awesome deals on arrows etc. Full draw on bow is 25" which by the way to let everyone know I am a whoping 5'4 so this bow ended up fitting me perfect.

17. Member
    My daughter has a 25" draw if it makes you feel any better. Ha!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    My daughter has a 25" draw if it makes you feel any better. Ha!
    Is your daughter an adult? If not then no not really lol. I know I'm short but it has its advantages.