BPS Carbonlite baitcaster vs Pro Qualifer

Any opinions? BPS has a stinging combo deal going on right now on both. The CL combo is $20 more. Just wondering what makes that reel $20 better as the reviews on both are astounding.

2. Banned
    Depends on what you are going to use the reel for. The only issue I would have would be using the Carbonlite for heavy use applications as it has a aluminum pinion gear. Pro Qualifier has both gear pieces as brass. Otherwise, they are pretty close to the same reel, minus the handle assembly.

Honest question: I would think an aluminum gear would be lighter and stronger than brass, particularly given the common alloys of aluminum available now. Is that not the case?

I've also been under the impression that the main gear in both is brass while it's only the crankshaft that's different - that being an aluminum one in the CarbonLite vs a brass one in the Pro Qualifier. Maybe the "crankshaft" and pinion gear are one in the same, or at least may be in the eyes of Bass Pro or in the construction of these reels - I always figured the pinion gear fit onto the end of the crankshaft in most reels. At least I'm 99% sure it's that way on my Curados (which would be the ones I've been into the most, by far).

Sorry for the tangent...genuinely interested is all.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Honest question: I would think an aluminum gear would be lighter and stronger than brass, particularly given the common alloys of aluminum available now. Is that not the case?

I've also been under the impression that the main gear in both is brass while it's only the crankshaft that's different - that being an aluminum one in the CarbonLite vs a brass one in the Pro Qualifier. Maybe the "crankshaft" and pinion gear are one in the same, or at least may be in the eyes of Bass Pro or in the construction of these reels - I always figured the pinion gear fit onto the end of the crankshaft in most reels. At least I'm 99% sure it's that way on my Curados (which would be the ones I've been into the most, by far).

Sorry for the tangent...genuinely interested is all.
    Yes, the aluminum part of the carbonlites gears is the pinion gear. The pinion gear is the one that is turning the spool, while the main gear is the one that is turned off the crankshaft. The aluminum is a harder metal, but more easily broken and damaged.