The magical time for boat buying

When does this mythical period when everyone is listing their boat at rock bottom prices begin? My guess would be September but some have told me you've gotta wait until November until it really becomes a buyer's market. I've heard stories of boats going well under low NADA pretty consistently in the fall to winter but not sure I buy it.

I would look year round...you never know when the boat you're lookin for is out there at the price your willing to pay.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    i really don't think there is a good time,good clean garage kept boats will sell about anytime,winter time most guys around here don't even try to sell them and problem is you can not water test it

4. Member
    Just so happened that I got mine in Sept tho. Went and picked it up with my wife on our anniversary. Really considered turning around and selling it, saw many of this boat model and year going for 8-10k more than I paid.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I would look year round...you never know when the boat you're lookin for is out there at the price your willing to pay.

This.

6. Banned
    Fall... Normally guys try to sell their boats before ordering a new boat that will be delivered to them late winter, early spring... Dan

7. Member
    Crank68 hit the nail on the head. Not all the time the boat that you are looking for is for sale by an individual. Dealerships and banks will get boats in from either trade in's, consignment or repo.

8. Banned
    If you are looking for a new boat I'd say late fall early winter. For a used boat, really any time as the seller may need to sell in a hurry. Or late winter early spring for used as well. That when people buy a new boat and it's arriving so they need to push the old one out.

9. Banned
    late fall/winter.
    only problem in my area, is that it's really hard to "water test" it when ice is on the water......can't seem to cut a big enough hole in the ice for a test ride! LOL

So many factors, back in 2008-2010 was a mythical time to buy if you had the money. Fall is slow and down here it picks up again in January. But I agree just keep looking and be ready, cause there is always someone trying to get out of there boat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Most people say fall/winter is the best time and it probably is, but I think spring is actually an underrated time. Common sense says that boats will be higher when everyone is itching to get out on the water after a long winter. I've actually noticed an unintended side effect of this: used boats end up being cheaper. I think a lot of people run out and buy new ones only to find that the dealers won't give them what they want for their trade - the dealer knows the person wants this new boat, and they've got them by the balls after the long winter. So they're stuck selling their old one on their own. I see tons of nice used boats pop up every spring at great prices around here. I actually got mine in the middle of April, for WAY cheaper than I've seen similar ones go for at "better" times of the year.

That was exactly the story from the guy I bought mine from: he was in the process of buying a new pontoon as he was "too old" to be running around in a bass boat, but the dealer only wanted to give him $4k for it. He got more than that from me, but still several thousand less than clones of my boat end up fetching other times. Just make sure not to mention sales tax savings from trading in versus selling and making a down payment....

Also, definitely same story on water testing them at that time of year. I test rode one at the beginning of April here when I was shopping that ended up with ice on the bunks when I helped the guys load it on the trailer. I figured helping them load it up was the least I could do - they sure weren't going to get a fraction of what they were asking with that giant crack in the transom!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Right after the divorce is done and while she is still pissed!!!

13. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Bingo! Look for the listing that says: "must sell now, husband will be back in town Friday"
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

14. Member
    I have seen some good deals around April and May for used boats.

This is a better answer than mine was !!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Member

Yep! For sure!

Ive been looking for "the boat" for "the price" for a while ....over two years.

Found it 3 weeks ago. Priced to sell, and exactly what I wanted, color and all.

17. Banned
    Was it a Nitro?

18. Member
    Cheap and fast .....

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Was it a Nitro?

No....a very low hour red, black, and white Skeeter 190TZX.

20. Member
    We have a winner...