Thread: Barren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Barren

Keeps getting worse and worse.

If you think Barren was bad you should see the day one (8/19) results from the KFB State Tournament at Green. Counting anglers and co-anglers they had 78 people. 10.03 leading day 1 with 7.66 in second...there is some good fisherman in the field so I know it was not lack of talent. They have not posted the day 2 results yet. I bet its just as bad or worse. Green is getting hammered and the fish are responding with a tight lip.

Barren has been tough going on 3 years for the most part. The days of me catching 40 fish with 5-10 keepers are only a memory. Lucky to catch 5-10 with 2 keepers on a decent day now. If the stars align just right a limit is possible. I pulled up on a point a few years ago and caught more in 2 hours than I have caught in the last 3 years put together.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If you think Barren was bad you should see the day one (8/19) results from the KFB State Tournament at Green. Counting anglers and co-anglers they had 78 people. 10.03 leading day 1 with 7.66 in second...there is some good fisherman in the field so I know it was not lack of talent. They have not posted the day 2 results yet. I bet its just as bad or worse. Green is getting hammered and the fish are responding with a tight lip.
    Yeah i watched the weigh in Sat, had planned to fish it sat night but went to Cland instead. I think 13+ won the two day event, it must be pretty bad too!

I think Barren is in a down cycle. It will come back.

That lake is named Barren for a reason....

7. Member
    Yeah the KBF was tough. River was muddy. They didn't move up into the brush piles until late afternoon when it was time to head in.

8. Member
    I can't say it has been bad. We caught 20 or so with 8 solid 2-4 pound fish Monday morning. Possum and I caught 8 between 2 and 5 pounds last Friday evening on top water. I can say that I am catching fish differently this year than I have in summers past. The days of pulling up on a point and cranking up a limit seem to be gone. I was surprised at how many sun watchers were on the lake Monday! Pleasure boat traffic was like a Saturday afternoon.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fomkydirector View Post
    I can't say it has been bad. We caught 20 or so with 8 solid 2-4 pound fish Monday morning. Possum and I caught 8 between 2 and 5 pounds last Friday evening on top water. I can say that I am catching fish differently this year than I have in summers past. The days of pulling up on a point and cranking up a limit seem to be gone. I was surprised at how many sun watchers were on the lake Monday! Pleasure boat traffic was like a Saturday afternoon.
    Your username leads me to believe that you fish or direct tournaments. You are leaving a lot of $ on the table not fishing the local tournies. I'm not basing my opinion on my own success. The weights are down and have been almost the entire year.

I don't think i've caught a topwater fish on barren all year.

10. Member
    I ran the Fishers of Men Kentucky West division for the last 12 years. I will be moving to Athens, Alabama this fall or I would still be running it next season. That knocked me out of fishing any other trails. I used to fish a lot of the local tournaments but have pretty much quit em for reasons I won't discuss publicly. Here is the big one on topwater...

11. Banned
    I ran the Fishers of Men Kentucky West division for the last 12 years. I will be moving to Athens, Alabama this fall or I would still be running it next season. That knocked me out of fishing any other trails. I used to fish a lot of the local tournaments but have pretty much quit em for reasons I won't discuss publicly. Here is the big one on topwater...
    Alabama? What has gotten in you? Feel free to drop some waypoints or other hot spots in a pm. If i was bettin i'd say Skaggs?

12. Member
    You would lose that bet!!

13. Banned
    You would lose that bet!!
    Had to be beaver then, peters is the dead sea and all the fish were carried to port oliver from the river

I have heard more rumblings that the cause of the lake going down is do to the Amish taking anything and everything that swims out of the lakes.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I have heard more rumblings that the cause of the lake going down is do to the Amish taking anything and everything that swims out of the lakes.
    Funny one! How many times have you seen Port Oliver parking lot stuffed full of Amish? Some give that group WAY too much credit.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UkCatsBasser View Post
    Yeah the KBF was tough. River was muddy. They didn't move up into the brush piles until late afternoon when it was time to head in.

Greens not fishing as tough as that tourny made it look. It has its days where its tougher to get bit than others but theyre there. The night bite has been the way to go but catching fish with the sun up hasnt been that difficult aside from one really tough night a couple weeks ago. Like somebody said about barren, were not catching them how we have in the past.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    Funny one! How many times have you seen Port Oliver parking lot stuffed full of Amish? Some give that group WAY too much credit.
    No the parking lot is not packed but, every lake I go to you usually 3 or 4 boats trolling and everything catch goes in the pot. 7 days a week that is a lot of fish. They have guys that, that is their job to be fisherman and that is all they do.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    No the parking lot is not packed but, every lake I go to you usually 3 or 4 boats trolling and everything catch goes in the pot. 7 days a week that is a lot of fish. They have guys that, that is their job to be fisherman and that is all they do.
    7 days a week at the Narrows. Dawn to dusk. They also put in at Baileys Point. Also i don't think they are Amish as the tow vehicles that pull the double rigs are not black. Mennonites?

19. Member
    So what are the dates of the "Straw Hat Open"? Again, I am of the belief some folks give those groups WAY too much credit.

20. Banned
    I would say what the Amish do actually helps the lake. They clean out a lot of pan fish, catfish and smaller buck bass. I doubt they're smoking 4 lb bass on a daily basis the way they fish. They are meat fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast