Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trailer Tires Recomendation?

I had a blowout today driving back from the lake. It was not fun. I have a 20 ft Phoenix w/tandem axle trailer. The trailer has the original Goodyear Marathons. I just inspected them two weeks ago. They have hardly any sign of wear. Anyway, I'm now shopping for 4 new tires. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    How old were the tires? Did you look for dry rot when you inspected them every were on the tire? I like Good Year Marathon there a tread design that has been around for a long time and that use to be for a reason (it worked) but I herd they no long make them because people were complaining they were made in China. You can try the Good Year line made in the USA. I wish they would have brought the old Marathon Raised white letter back to USA.....

Goodyear endurance would be number one.
    Currently I have a Big O trailer tire called Vanguard. Its a 5 ply and has been very good so far.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Ditto on the US made Endurance. Keeping an American vs Chinese dude working. The Goodyear Marathons are made in China and no better than any other chinese piece of junk.

5. Member
    Nothing wrong with marathons.
    They had a bad year or 2 of production when they moved to china.
    We have several thousand miles on our 2 year old marathons and they show no wear.

Endurance will my next set though...

6. Member
    They may look good but they will blow out.

7. Member
    They were 6 years old with no dry rot or cracking. I did some research and it sounds like the Maxxis trailer tire is the way to go.

8. Member
    Most trailer tire manufactures and the national tire manufacturer association don't recommend running any ST trailer tire 6 years. I have had two tire failures from Chinese made tires that were a little over 3 years old. Did over $3000 in damage. Wont run Chinese tires on my boat trailer again. The Goodyear Endurance currently is the only ST trailer tire made in the US.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 08-21-2017 at 08:31 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Goodyear endurance would be number one.
    I just put 2 of these on my trailer this year and love them. No more swaying side to side or jumping around. They are very sturdy. Plus they are rated for 85mph for 3 hours.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

10. Member
    Coming home from Ky. Lake couple of weeks ago, had a blowout on my tandem axle trailer.(Stratos trail). The tire that blew out was a 4 yr. old 5-ply Carlisle. My other tires are 1 yr. old Carlisle's. My local dealer was out of them so he recommended Summit's. So far so good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-ST225-...hYm0Kh&vxp=mtr

This is a really good price on a beefy tire

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-ST225-...hYm0Kh&vxp=mtr

This is a really good price on a beefy tire
    Thats a brute...only problem is that is a Towmaster(blowmaster) my towmasters were junk.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    All the ST tires you guys are talking about are still made mainly in China. In my case with the two blowouts from Carlisles, it was not the design but the quality of workmanship. Both tire failures were caused by some Chinese guy not laying the belts correctly. This is not my determination, Carlisle made that determination and both times compensated me for the trailer damage and paid for the tires. Heck I bought an American tire. We know have a choice.

In short stay away from GoodYear Marathon tires period? My local marine supply store has the ST215 75R14 Marathons for my trailer on sale for $59.00 each reducing their inventory & I was thinking about changing my trailer tires which are the original Marathons. Based on what I'm reading I should steer clear. They also recommended Trailer King tires too?
    "Bet on a Vet, You Both Win"

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfd View Post
    In short stay away from GoodYear Marathon tires period? My local marine supply store has the ST215 75R14 Marathons for my trailer on sale for $59.00 each reducing their inventory & I was thinking about changing my trailer tires which are the original Marathons. Based on what I'm reading I should steer clear. They also recommended Trailer King tires too?
    The Marathons are still made in China and are like all the other China bombs out there. I bet the Trailer Kings are made over there or some place close as well. Discount Tire which is a huge nationwide tire chain use to stock the Marathons at their store but quit because of all the quality problems.

16. Member
    I had both of my Marathon tires go out within 2 weeks of each other. Both were tread seperations. The tires/treads had little to no visable wear on them when they went (they looked perfect). First one I noticed my trailer bounding up and down, before I could get stopped, the tread came off the tire. The one on the other side did the same thing 2 weeks later (saw the same bouncing in the mirror), but I was able to stop before the tread came off the tire. You could the see big lump in the tread were it was seperating from the tire. Hope the new GY tire is better than the Marathons.

17. Member
    It was probably from that dodge ram you pull the phoenix with.

18. Member
    Just unloaded all my chicom-bombs a couple weeks ago. Got a trip to Canada coming up September 17th. I'll report back how the Endurances do for 1000 miles of towing.

I run Kumho 205R14C it's an 8ply tire 2200# per tire capacity 99mph speed rated 65psi fill one of the best tires out there

20. Member
    Agreed! I am running the Kumho 857's right now and they are rated a little higher than the Endurance for the size 14 rim but I am really thinking about giving the Endurance a try this time because a lot of good reviews and its 30 dollars cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    I run Kumho 205R14C it's an 8ply tire 2200# per tire capacity 99mph speed rated 65psi fill one of the best tires out there
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast