Motorguide xi5 question for Mr. Jones

Have you Sir,or any other member had to replace the electric motor in the foot of a 36v unit ? mine just locked up,MG cust. svc. said the motor is $400 and you must buy a new shaft,as the old one needs to be broken to re&re the motor,,also just wondering,if that is necessary and the motor could be repaired by a competent electrical shop,and just purchase the new shaft,,tks.

2. Member
    You said Locked up meaning you can't turn by hand. Could be a piece of the magnet in the magnetic house has chipped off and jammed the armature in the housing.
    If that is the case only thew magnetic housing may need to be replaced. It does not take much to jam the armature in the housing. Very tight clearness. Take it to a repair shop and they should be able to help you out.

3. Member
    As said above, it depends on how it is locked up. The shaft goes into the center section. If the center section has to be changed, a new shaft is needed also, not because of wiring, but because the composite shaft threads are destroyed when trying to remove the composite shaft.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Sorry i didnt get back to you guys,good point about the magnets, i havent had time to mess with it, i threw an x5 80 on in it's place,and hate it,lol, yes the propshaft is locked up, i noticed i had no speed one day, thought maybe was tangled with fishing line,but not, it turned by hand real rough,like bad bearings on a crankshaft, then just locked tight. I took off the boat as i had a tourney next day. Should i just take the cover plate off the back side and see what falls out ? And go from there ? The transmission and gps are fine. All lights come on. Just no action from the armature in foot, tks

Oh and tks john, i was confused when cust. Svc told me to order a shaft with armature, i thought they meant prop shsft,lol i was trying to figure out why that would be,lol turns out your saying the composite shaft,tks. For clearing that up.

Fyi, this is a saltwater version,i noticed in the parts book that the 105 freshwater has different armature part#'s than the salty unit

One other ques. Is the composite shaft screwed to the foot with epoxy or sealant of any kind ? Or will it unscrew with a good strap wrench in a vise ?i am hoping it is a magnet as suggested, looks like a new housing and seal kit will be cheaper than the armature

8. Member
    The composite shaft is attached with a locktite epoxy. Threads are destroyed when it's removed. I would take the lower unit apart and leave the shaft intact while I was checking it out. If you need a new center section, you'll have to have a new shaft so there is no reason to try and separate the two. If an armature is the problem, then if you don't undo the shaft, you will not a new shaft.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

Ok john tks. I will do that and report back,do you sell the parts ? Or are they MG only, tks

Ok by new center section i assume you mean the housing with magnets ? Which the armature goes into ? Thus one would a new shaft to fix it.

11. Member
    The center section is the part that the composite shaft attaches to and has the magnets. The armature goes into this section and terminates on a mid section that goes between the sonar cap and the center section. I am a Motorguide service center and do sell parts. However, with you in Canada, unless you have a shipping address in the States, international shipping could get costly.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Yessir i have a ship address in Upstate NY

13. Member
    Then I can ship to Upstate NY. We need to figure what parts we need.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Ok mr jones it apoears my complete l/u had water in it, my armature .,brushes and card are destroyed,my center section with magnets has some rust on it, from shopping around,it appears that a new l/u would be best, i dont see using a new armature in an old magnet base ? It is 4 yrs old now. I have a salt version 105#, i believe replacement unit is part# 8m0096760

15. Member
    To replace that, you will also need a new composite shaft. What length composite shaft do you have.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

I have a 60 now but would prefer a 54, as it is going onto my Allison instead of my 21 paramount