Thread: Short strikes

Short strikes

I just bought a bassboat to keep in my canal and fish Lake Osborne. I have been trying to learn to walk the dog. I have caught a few peacocks, a largemouth, and a couple of chiclids. I get a LOT of short strikes and boils but few strikes. So I am wondering, am I doing something wrong? Should I try to use a trailer hook (is that even possible on a Zara Spook?) Is this the wrong lure? The water in the lake and canals is awful shallow. If I try a short lipped crankbait near the banks I just catch that stringy green stuff. I have gotten no action from a popper and the same short dtrikes on a buzzbait frog. Are these just all little fish?

Maybe pause the bait every now and again. walk the dog 5-6 times then pause it for a few seconds.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

3. Member
    I'll give that a try, thanks.

4. Banned
    Gar and Pickerel will also s/s these baits and if'n Y'all have those fish then You have the aforementioned.

Going to Lake Osborne tomorrow! Fishing from a buddy's boat. We going to head up to Lake Clarke too.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

6. Member
    Most of the time when you have fish swirling at your topwater means you usually have the wrong color. They turn off of it right at the last second when something doesn't look right. Try changing up your colors on the spook and go more natural.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

i used to fish lake osbourne alot when i lived in broward... always did better south of the bridge and surounding canals. try using a chugbug to slow it down a bit. maybe they just dont want a top water bait. you did not mention soft plastic baits. thats usually easier to pull through that green slime. i try to avoid that junk. lots of water there and i have found that fish like certain locations better than others.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

If you're using a regular Zara Spook try the Super spook junior, sometimes size matters.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

9. Member
    Propbait!

10. Member
    slow it down
    Question everything!