Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    We’re is that fine screen filter located I was not aware there was another fule
    filter other than the one by the pump that I change yearly

2. Member
    just behind the inlet side of the stock fuel pump

3. Member
    So it’s not the in-line filter then correct?

4. Member
    nope, just a wire mesh one behind the inlet of the pump

5. Member
    Oh ok I will try and find it then

6. Member
    Are all engines suppose to have this? I replaced field pump 2 years ago and didn’t see it

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ175 View Post
    Are all engines suppose to have this? I replaced field pump 2 years ago and didn’t see it
    I have an XR6 the fuel pump doe NOT have a wiremesh filter!

If it is running good on top, then it may be starting procedure. We are getting into cooler weather could be the reason you are noticing it now.

There is an idle air valve on the right head between the spark plugs. Make sure there is a hose hooked to one side. (the other end of the valve appears to need a hose, it does not it is left open to the atmosphere)
    The valve opens once the engine reaches 100F. You can check it by trying to blow air with your mouth when cold, once engine is warmed up you should feel slight suction on the other end of valve.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ175 View Post
    just realized that the info im giving you is for earlier style pumps, the later style square ones donot have this screen , sorry my bad!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Netweid1 View Post
    +1 on Gmann recommendations. I've had the same year mercs in XR2, XR4 and XR6. All of them I held the choke for 10+ seconds, give it a little throttle (be prepared to let off) and then if it's been a while since I cranked you might have to hit the choke a couple of more times to keep it running.
    +1. Hold the choke in at least 10 seconds before starting to crank it over. Also have it trimmed all the way down so the gas will trickle into the motor and not out of the carb. It needs to be trimmed down as these are trickle enricheners.

10. Member
    Well I hold this chime in for ten seconds I don’t hear any clicks or anything maybe my enriched is getting bad because she is still a bear to start. It has fresh fuel compression is even on all cylinders may just need the carburetor worked over again and replace needles seats and everything lol or just upgrade to an efi

11. Member
    Could be a bad electrical connection, or enrichener solonoid not working. Check voltage to solonoid.

12. Member
    Ok thanks so much will check that and get back with u on my findings wats funny and I know it’s not good to do this but a lil shot of ether and she takes right off easily when it’s cold but I don’t wanna use it ��

13. Member
    I can hear my enricher click on my motor if cowling is off and it's dead quiet...you may want to take a test light and see if you have power feeding enricher when you push ignition switch in.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

14. Member
    Well guys would like to thank
    all of you for your input on things had my brother who is a mechanic on grand lake redo my carbs he put new needles seats and checked the floats and the merc has never ran and started so goood. PUmp her up hold in enricher for 5-8 sec and she starts right away with no flooding of the engine . Thanks again to all who
    xommented

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12